It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Spurs v Sunderland 19/05/2013
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:52 am 

Ladies and gentlemen, for your entertainment, education and delectation, I hereby present some trivia and history about Sunderland. I have taken it from the best graphic novel I have ever read, “Alice in Sunderland” by Brian Talbot. I hope you find it as interesting as I did.

Origins of the Geordies and Mackems Rivalry

Whatever you do, don’t confuse people from Sunderland who are known as ‘Mackems’ with people from Newcastle who are ‘Geordies’.
The nickname ‘Mackems’ dates from the days of shipbuilding. The phrase is “there’s those who mack ‘em and those who tak ‘em”. They used to “mack ‘em” in the busy shipyards and an alarming proportion of Mackems are irredeemably football crazy.
The intense rivalry between the two teams is not purely down to football and goes back centuries. At the end of the Middle Ages, the Port of Newcastle as a Royal Borough with granted trading rights and aggressive merchant guilds dominated the lucrative export trade in coal and wool. To ensure their virtual monopoly, the Newcastle Guilds successfully petitioned James I to levy a tax on all coal exported from Sunderland. His successor Charles I doubled it. No surprise then that during the Civil War the towns were on opposing sides: Newcastle was staunchly royalist and Sunderland supplied coal to Parliament-held London and hosted a parliamentarian Garrison.

In 1644, 21,000 Scots encamped there supported by the Mackems before attacking and taking Newcastle for Parliament. The Geordies’ anger at this still smoulders though many don’t know the origin of the grudge. The Civil War ended with Charles I getting his head chopped off. The dependence on royal approval for its trade kept Newcastle royalist and it’s the only Northumbrian town to declare for George I during the 1715 Jacobite rebellion, closing its gates to the rebels.
History repeated itself during the rebellion of 1745 when the city, under the command of Alison Liddell’s great-grandfather (she was the real girl who inspired Lewis Carroll’s character Alice in Wonderland) supported George II. One story goes that this earned them the nickname ‘Geordies’, an abbreviation of George’s men.

Footballing Memories of Sunderland

Moving at least a little bit more up-to-date, here are some memories of a Wednesday night game against Sunderland from 14th April 1982. This one was at White Hart Lane. Sunderland were fighting against relegation as they’ve hsad to do for much of this season. We had beaten them at Roker Park, with a 2-0 win the previous October. We had also just beaten Arsenal at Highbury the previous Monday. It was a comfortable 3-1 win with a goal from Micky Hazard and two from Garth Crooks. By the end of the season we would have played 65 games including the F.A. Cup Final. Steve Perryman had just won the Evening Standard ‘Footballer of the Month’ award for the fourth time that season and Spurs had recently named a suite in the new West Stand after the great Bill Nicholson. The Sunderland team included their record signing, a young Scottish forward called Ally McCoist.
It was a short trip on the tube from my Harley Street flat (nowhere near as posh as it sounds – it was a shared flat and my resident landlady was the sister of the famous mercenary “mad” Mike Hoare – but that is perhaps a story for another time) to Seven Sisters followed by the familiar march up Tottenham High Road for the evening kick-off. The game was a 2-2 draw with Galvin and Hoddle scoring for Spurs.

And so to this season. Martin O’Neill has been a very good manager but sadly in recent years has had to cope with considerable strain in his personal life on top of the pressures of Premier League management. Not long ago, he would have been high on the list of possible replacements for Alex Ferguson. However, after his initial positive impact with Sunderland last season, the spark seemed to go out of the team and they were struggling, much as their Geordie rivals have done. His sacking didn’t come as a total surprise in the cut-throat world of football but Paulo Di Canio’s appointment has been controversial.
Two wins on the trot seemed to have had the desired effect but a thrashing by Aston Villa and a draw against Southampton put them back in trouble but Wigan’s failure to take points off Arsenal saw the FA Cup winners relegated and Sunderland safe. Tottenham still need Sunderland’s north-east neighbours, Newcastle, to win or get a draw against Arsenal on the last day of the season.
Thank you to Tottenham Hotspur for the fun and the drama again this year and thanks to all of you for reading my blogs on HotspurHQ. Whatever happens on Sunday, the future is sure to continue to be a roller coaster of excitement. Football only a game? Nonsense. It raises our lives out of the humdrum and for brief moments can banish all your cares and worries. That’s why I will remain Spurs and England forever.
COME ON YOU SPURS!

http://hotspurhq.com/2013/05/17/sunderl ... tottenham/?

Post subject: Re: Spurs v Sunderland 19/05/2013
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:53 am 

Spurs star Lloris fears Sunderland now they’re safe

Hugo Lloris insists Tottenham must focus all their efforts on beating Sunderland on the final day of the Barclays Premier League season – and not whether Arsenal might slip up at Newcastle.

The Gunners moved back up into fourth place after their 4-1 home win over Wigan on Tuesday night sent the FA Cup winners down.

Spurs are a point behind their north London rivals, and with an inferior goal difference so have to secure victory over Sunderland, who are now safe, and hope the Gunners draw or are beaten on Tyneside.

Lloris accepts should Andre Villas-Boas’ men lose sight of producing their own required performance, then it will not matter what happens anywhere else.

Speaking to the club’s official website, www.tottenhamhotspur.com, the France international said: “We can’t think about the Arsenal result, we have to think about our performance, we need three points and from there, we can see what happens.

“It won’t be easy. Sunderland have good players, a good team and when we played against them in December, it was a tough game. That was a good result for us.

“It has been difficult for them and a number of teams concerned with relegation.

“Paolo di Canio has realised his objective, he has saved the team in the Premier League and it is never easy to play against a team that has no pressure.”

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/foo ... -1-5681590

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:28 am 

FTY

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:22 am 

Sunderland midfielder Jack Colback has insisted his side will not simply roll over for Tottenham at White Hart Lane on Sunday.

Wigan's midweek defeat to Arsenal ensured that Paolo Di Canio's side cannot be relegated on the final day when they head to face UEFA Champions League-chasing Spurs.

But Colback is eager for the Wearside outfit to end the campaign with a flourish by putting in a strong performance.

"There would not be much point preparing all week if we thought it would be a certain Tottenham win," he said.

"The odds will be stacked against us. They are any time you go and play a top team.

"However, we have shown in the past we can go and match them and we will just have to prepare right and go and do that."

Colback is likely to start Sunday's game at left-back with first-choice Danny Rose ineligible to face his parent club.

http://uk.soccerway.com/news/2013/May/1 ... ham-shock/?

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:01 pm 

only caught the last 15 minutes of the match on Sky, but listened to most of it. sounded like Colback and Mignolet were playing them by themselves. lost to a wonder goal in the end but a couple of youngsters got debuts

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:23 pm 

Great performance - how it wasn't 10 v 10 I don't understand.

Basically the players put in a good shift today which was helped by Spurs being shite.

Roll on next season.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:28 pm 

Overall we played quite well. Colback MOM for me, once again played at left back but was more like a sweeper. A couple of times he was over in the RB position covering for Seb and then in the middle of the goal mouth blocking and clearing. David Vaughan became our 3rd sending off this season, (3 in the last 4 games now), his 2nd yellow was a genuine attempt to tackle but Bale was just too fast for him. Mandron, Billy knott and Adam Mitchell all got run outs.
Overall I think the squad will get the 40 days holiday after all ;) .

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:45 pm 

Les Miserable wrote:
Great performance - how it wasn't 10 v 10 I don't understand.

Basically the players put in a good shift today which was helped by Spurs being shite.

Roll on next season.

Ref had a bit of a mare in both directions I thought. He could have given a penalty for Seb v Bale although the foul started well outside the area but Bale was unlucky to get a card. Don't know why he didn't book Walker for tackle on McClean, booking for Mandron very harsh and gave us very few fouls when we were getting pulled and pushed all over.

Having said that there's no complaint on Vaughan's two bookings

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:32 pm 

Thought we played well considering how stretched the squad is and several were out of position again. Mig made several outstanding saves and kept us in the game until the end, when there was nothing he could do. Colback was man of the match for me. Think he covered every blade of grass. Good to see the three youngsters get a run out near the end and hopefully they'll value the experience.

My fave bit was singing "Channel 5 on Thursday nights" repeatedly after we'd heard Arsenal had scored. They didn't like that :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:30 am 

Jack Colback disappointed with final day defeat

Sunderland midfielder Jack Colback has admitted that he is "disappointed" to end the season with a defeat.

The Black Cats fell to a 1-0 loss to Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane as Gareth Bale scored a late winner to seal a win for Andre Villas-Boas's side.

"It's very disappointing to have conceded so late in the game," Colback told the club's official website.

"We did well to frustrate them for 89 minutes and we made it known that if they wanted to win they would have to work for it.

"Unfortunately we couldn't hold on to get anything from the game. I'm really disappointed to end the season on a defeat."

After the game, Sunderland boss Paolo Di Canio branded some of the players in his squad as "ignorant" and "arrogant".

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/su ... 85220.html

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:31 am 

Sunderland boss Paolo Di Canio proud despite loss to Tottenham

Paolo Di Canio felt there were positives for Sunderland to take from their 1-0 defeat at Tottenham Hotspur.

Spurs needed to win to stand any chance of finishing in the top four but were frustrated by resolute defending until Gareth Bale netted a superb goal in the 90th minute.

Di Canio had demanded a good performance from his side and was proud of the character they showed at White Hart Lane.

He said: "We're obviously disappointed with the result but the lads have done a very good job. They gave everything in terms of commitment and desire but we're still going back with zero points from the game.

"Gareth Bale made the difference once again for Tottenham with a great piece of play.

"I'm very happy with the performance; it was disciplined and we didn't lose our brains.

"Sometimes in final games the players are too relaxed and thinking about their holidays, but that was not the case today. Spurs had to work hard to get their three points.

"The team did well considering players like Jack Colback and Sebastian Larsson weren't in their normal positions."

Di Canio also praised Sunderland's fans for travelling to London and showing great support in the final game of a difficult season.

"A big thank you to the fans," said the Italian. "They sang all the way through the game and I loved seeing them in their section of the stadium in their red and white shirts.

"I wish we could have got a point for them to have something to celebrate. Unfortunately that didn't happen, but the players wore the shirt and played the best way they could today."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8723206/?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:04 am 

The way MOTD edited the two games together, it was quite galling to see Vaughn go off for two innocuous fouls but yet again Cabaye takes someone out and doesn't even get spoken to. I've said it about 100 times in the last few weeks but unless our players start reacting to stuff on the field then we are constantly going to get our players booked and the opposition are going to be given the benefit of the doubt.

oh and nice of MOTD to not give two players making their first and second appearences in the premier league a name check when they came on as sub; too busy concentrating on Spurs

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:47 am 

For me:

Mingolet was superb 9 out of 10
Larsson was poor. Admittedly he was out of position, but he wasn't very good and could easily, with a better referee, have cost us the game all on his own. 4/10
Cuellar and O'Shea were both solid and had good games 8/10 - good stuff.
Colback simply different class beat a superb Ming to Man of the Match. another 9 like him in the side and we would be champions 10 out of 10. Man of the Match

Vaughan I know he was playing because I saw him get sent off 6/10
Johnson had a nightmare, but never gave up trying. Everything he tried went wrong. 6/10
McLean showed lots of hard work but a complete lack of talent 6/10
N'Diaye excellent. He's getting better and better, game by game. A lot of credit for the difficulties Spurs had, must go to him 8/10
Whickham Plenty of effort and to me looked the part. 7/10
Graham had a good game, he thinks about his game and does everything right - except - he is too slow. Too slow over the ground and in his reactions. Still he put in a good shift 7/10

Subs

Mandron looked lively, no idea about the other two.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:56 pm 

I'd give Cuellar a 7, Wickham a 6 and Graham a 5 otherwise it's hard to disagree with that. Wickham put in a good shift and ran the right channels but a couple of times when holding the ball he let the defender come round or through him to nick it which was disappointing when we had so little possession.

Overall looks like we have a long way to go even allowing for Spurs being a top team.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:11 pm 

Tweet

24 July 2013

Premier League ‏@premierleague
FULL TIME Spurs 1-3 Sunderland. The Black Cats reach Saturday's final of #BAT2013 in Hong Kong as they come from behind to see off Spurs.

Well done lads!

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]