It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 29 posts ] 
 Post subject: Toon Forum Interviews
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:58 pm 

The originals of these Toon Forum Interviews can be viewed here, on a friendly and sensible forum.

http://www.toonforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5384

BTW:

Some posters have used smilies as part of their text and they don't copy - if you find a place where the text is fractured in some way, that is probably the cause.

Cal is an Admin guy at Toon forum, so references to Cal are to him.

I have included the screen name of each poster in the title of the post "Toon Forum Interviews Poster Name"

Post subject: Re: Toon Forum Interviews TheLittleGeordie
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:02 pm 

Why Newcastle United and not any other team? Why do you identify with the team?
I lived in Gateshead when I was about 4 so about when I first started understanding football. Surrounded by a lot of other Newcastle fans and I think my dad gave me a nudge in that direction even though he doesn't support them himself. I'm not sure I identify with the team that much but we both **** up a lot of things that should be easy so there's that
Was it always Newcastle United, or as a child did you like any other ‘big’ teams of the day?
Newcastle have always been my favorite but there's always been a lot of other teams every season that I'm happy to see to well

What's the best and worst away ground you've visited? Why?!
I haven't really seen enough to give fair answers to this

Do you have a favourite Newcastle United match that you saw live? (If so, which was it?!)
None of them jump out. I haven't got to any of the games for ages and we lost most of the ones I saw when I was younger

If there was one game in the history of your club you could go back and see (but didn’t at the time), what would it be?
I'm a long way too young to remember us winning anything <neg> so it has to be the 4-4 against Arsenal.

Which other team or teams in the Premier/Championship (or indeed elsewhere) have you a soft spot for?
Loads. Arsenal and Spurs are the 2 main ones I always like to see do well

Which team or teams do you least like (i.e. heartily dislike!)? And if this isn't Sunderland, or even if it is, what do you think of Sunderland AFC and the relationship of NUFC with SAFC - club to club - supporters to supporters?
I think Man U, Liverpool and Everton are the worst. The thing with SAFC for me is, because I moved away from the area when I was pretty young I've hardly met any fans since. The only time I ever see anything from the fans is on SMB and it would be harsh to judge you all on those morons. If we're talking about the actual club I really don't like most of most of your players and you've had a series of managers who I hate

When it comes to the NUFC team - Are you an optimist or a pessimistic?
I think we're all pretty down right now. I'm pretty optimistic it'll get better in the next few seasons though

What do you think of the current state of your;
Club -Not quite in touch with the modern Premier League but not so far behind that we can't sort it out
Manager / Director of Football - Kinnears a joke, Pards has got it in him to run a decent team but needs to sort some things out first
Team - I think we have a potentially really good team if we play to their strengths (which we rarely do <neg> )

What do you think your season will be like?
Better than last year but not as good as the year before

Where do you think the team will be in 10 years time?
8-12 in the PL

Who are your favourite footballer/s of all-time?
Zidane

What do you think of the current state of football in general, the Premier League and the England Team?
It's all great apart from the England team <grim> We're clearly not doing everything right which is stopping us competing with Spain, Brazil, Germany etc but it's not as if we're terrible. A decent manager would help

If there is one thing you could change in football, what would it be?
All of the cheating

Finally, why do you post etc., on ToonForum in particular - what does it give you?
Live too far away to many other Newcastle fans. At first I just used the forum we used to all be on to keep up with the news but I figured the crowd was pretty good so decided to start posting

Post subject: Re: Toon Forum Interviews Livin' Davide Loca
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:07 pm 

I got forced to support them as a kid and since then have been too apathetic about football to change.

Was it always Newcastle United, or as a child did you like any other ‘big’ teams of the day?

Used to support Man U until '99 when my cousin harrassed me until I changed to Newcastle.

Never been to a match.

Do you have a favourite Newcastle United match that you saw live? (If so, which was it?!)

Live on TV? The 5-1, just for the sheer ridiculousness and because I was expecting a draw at best.

If there was one game in the history of your club you could go back and see (but didn’t at the time), what would it be?

Beating Barcelona thanks to Tino.

Which other team or teams in the Premier/Championship (or indeed elsewhere) have you a soft spot for?

FC Dallas in MLS, Fiorentina in Serie A, Leicester in Championship, Schalke in Bundesliga, Oxford United in League 2.

Which team or teams do you least like (i.e. heartily dislike!)? And if this isn't Sunderland, or even if it is, what do you think of Sunderland AFC and the relationship of NUFC with SAFC - club to club - supporters to supporters?

None of them really. Can't say I have any particularly great feelings about any club beyond Newcastle. Re: the rivalry, I'll support Sunderland against any team besides Newcastle. I'm not from the North East but as long as the North East's doing well...

Apathist (is that a word?). Stuff happens, if it's good I enjoy it, if not then whatever, it's just a game.

Club - Well run financially, terribly run in football terms.
Manager / Director of Football - Pardew is alright - shown signs of improvement this year/ Kinnear's useless.
Team? - Good first XI and a couple of decent bench players. Otherwise just also-rans.

We'll survive - probably finish 13thish after an average season with a couple of key injuries hampering us (again.)

Under a different owner, different manager, mostly different players and probably about the same place we are now.

Bergkamp, Henry, Beckham - others that I can't think of right now.

What do you think of the current state of football in general, the Premier League and the England Team?

I don't really.

Added time multiball.

Finally, why do you post etc., on ToonForum in particular - what does it give you?

It's about far more than just football. Plus I've known most of the posters for a couple of years so just followed them.

Post subject: Re: Toon Forum Interviews you can call me yo
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:12 pm 

I liked the Goal films. I know it's a pathetic reason. I do think supporting Newcastle suits me. It's depressing so it fits in the rest of my life. <roll>

I used to like Liverpool really early on for a couple of seasons. I know kill me. The sad thing is, they went and won the Champions League just after I switched teams. I'm bad luck.

Same as TLG

I've only been to one and we lost <wah>

When we beat Man Utd 5-0 <awe> I would have loved to have been around then.

I like Norwich because of Hughton. Out of the top teams, I'd like Chelsea to win the league as I like Mourinho. I guess I want Saints to do well as they are local and I go to a few games.

I hate Liverpool (I know, ironic right?) because their fans think they deserve to be in the top 4 each year and the whole 'this is our year' business pisses me off. I don't have any strong feelings about Sunderland. I like the derby games and of course I hope we win them and we finish higher in the league. I'm not from the area so I don't really 'hate' them. The supporters on SMB are idiots so they make me think badly of Sunderland fans but I'm sure they are only a minority.

I used to be an optimist until last season. I'm now officially a pessimist. I think most of us are, especially on here.

Club - We are in bad shape, but we normally are.
Manager / Director of Football - I think both aren't fit for their jobs. If Ashley wasn't in charge neither would be anywhere near the club. Pardew is the lesser of two evils. Kinnear is just a buffoon who is going through some sort of breakdown.
Team? - We have a really good pool of 14/15 players, beneath that is a load of dross.

I think we will create lots of headlines, mostly for the wrong reasons. We will be nowhere near relegation but we won't be anywhere near the top 7 either. A solid 13th.

Mid table Championship

James Perch, Leon Best, Pavel Nedved, Fat Ronaldo and Zidane.

Football is a joke at the moment. The Premier League will become worse as 4/5 clubs move way ahead of the rest. The England team won't even be reaching tournaments in 20 years time.

Each side has to have five players in their match day squad from England.

I post on here because I started on 606 and continued to follow the other posters. Plus once you start posting here, you can't leave. If you try, Cal sets AH on you <erk>

Post subject: Re: Toon Forum Interviews Cal
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:19 pm 

Born and bred in Newcastle. As long as I can remember I've been a Newcastle fan, and as cliché as it sounds, it's like it's in my blood.

Always Newcastle. I've never understood people from Newcastle who supported another team, unless they were raised to which makes it marginally more acceptable.

The Darlington Arena. The only away game I've been to was the friendly where Sammy scored and the pitch was invaded.

Not really, my recent favourite would probably be Anzhi, but that's mostly for the 95th minute winner and the atmosphere it created. It was f****** crazy. Another would be the home game against Chelsea in February. Sissoko <awe>.

I would have said the fairs cup final against Ujpest, but that was over two legs. The 5-0 against Man Utd would probably take it. If I did see the Entertainers live I was too young to remember it, would be great to experience.

Norwich under Hughton, I used to quite like Arsenal but not so much in the last few years.

Liverpool. There's just nothing to like about the club or its more vocal fans. Tottenham would be second, but that's largely out of jealousy due to us both falling to near the bottom of the table a few years ago, obviously we got relegated and what followed followed, but they recovered and now look like an actual force. They'll be a bit more likeable without Bale I hope, can't stand the hype surrounding him. Everton fans seem to hate us for some reason, so I guess them too.

Sunderland, to me, are like a little brother who've been overshadowed for most of their life and are desperate to prove themselves as in some way superior to Newcastle. They seem to measure their success against us, while I just don't really care what happens to them. I don't like seeing them fail to the point of relegation and yo-yoing as they used to, as I like to have as much North-East representation in the PL as possible. So if Di Canio can just keep you guys up while keeping the circus entertaining he'll be doing his job.

I try to be objective, which usually results in a mix of cautious optimism and reluctant pessimism.

Club - We looked to be going in the right direction until this summer. I could put the 2012 summer transfer window down to being naive and too tight with money, which was made right come January, but doing even worse this summer and appointing Kinnear is just ridiculous. At least our finances are in order...
Manager / Director of Football - Appointing a director of football with a footballing background to conduct transfers makes sense, since Llambias was a money man (and seemingly a good one at that), but Joe f****** Kinnear? Pardew is hard to judge and in an impossible position now. He obviously had a great first season and a half, did poorly last season regardless of fixtures congestion and injuries, and looks to have us set-up to play good football this season. His selections and tactics seem suspect though, for example the Shola-Cissé partnership just doesn't work yet he persists with it this season.
Team? - We have a pretty damn good first XI with poor depth (although the occasional gem) in back-up. We need a striker who could lead the line alone and/or allow Cissé and co to play off of him, as well as a true left winger.

I'm reluctant to predict how we'll do the next week, never mind over a full season, given how erratic we can be. We've been playing good football but lacking any edge until the last couple of games. Most teams seem to have strengthened well in the summer gone while we haven't really progressed at all. If we do well, keep Ben Arfa fit and in form and Rémy gels into the squad I suppose top 10 flirting with Europa until it all falls apart.

Not in Mike Ashley's hands any more, beyond that I have no idea. Clubs being bought is scary and unpredictable.

First 3 that come to mind; Shearer, Albert, Bergkamp.

As what it is, an entertainment product, it keeps getting better and better, but I can't stand the loss of physicality and the diving/rolling around if someone even gets close to making contact. The England team is s*** and paying the price for the PL's success, but should still be much better than it is. The FA old guard need to be replaced. The Premier League could do with becoming more like the Bundesliga, but I don't see it happening.

Bring back the physicality. Not to the extent of two footed lunges and leg snapping being seen as acceptable, but I hate diving, going down easy, if you get touched it's a pen/free-kick, generally cheating the ref etc.

Lurked on 606, posted on not 606, followed over here. A mix of being in this community I've followed for a good few years and just indulging in a level of Newcastle/football fanaticism my friends/family mostly don't have. You can't properly talk football with someone who just watches MotD or looks at the scoreline and latest backpage to form their opinion. And I guess I have to stick around now that I have the keys.

Post subject: Re: Toon Forum Interviews Tirer le Ryan Oison Une
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:19 pm 

A terrible accident when I was 5 and some older kids asked me who I supported. I got muddled up and said Newcastle, couldn't go back on it after so to save face I have been ever since.

Always Newcastle

Fratton Park. I don't think I need to explain, its a f****** s*** hole.

If I had to pick one, it would be the 2-0 home win over Forest in the Championship season. Virtually guaranteed our promotion and a great night atmosphere.

If there was one game in the history of your club you could go back and see (but didn't at the time), what would it be?
4-4

Forest, my Dad's team, and the one I was supposed to say in the play ground!

Liverpool. Scumbags of the earth. Haven't really got the hatred for SAFC as save from the odd season, we don't really compete for league places. Doesn't change how nervous I am on derby day though!

[color=#8000BF]When it comes to the NUFC team - Are you an optimist or a pessimistic?[/color]
I'm a reformed optimist, and until this regime is over, I'll likely ever be a pessimist.

Club - Steady decline
Manager / Director of Football - Both a f****** joke. Genuinely find it hard to decide which one is worse, a lot of fans seem to have forgotten just how terrible Pardew is over the summer as JFK provided a distraction/scapegoat.
Team? - Mismanaged.

s***

Hopefully no-where near Sportsdirect.

Apart from Shearer, fat Ronaldo

Diving and simulation are ruining the game. Also officials are overly biased to certain teams, and incidents like the Rooney elbow going unpunished is diminishing my interest. The sooner Gerrard is out of the England team the better.

Corruption

Being from Kent I didn't grow up with many like-minded football fans, so I went started reading and posting on the 606 boards, moved to not606, then here when the mass-extinctions occurred.

Post subject: Re: Toon Forum Interviews I want curly hair too
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:23 pm 

I lived in the city in the early years of my life so it was just natural for me to support the team that represents the city I was from.

It was always Newcastle.

Best? Either the Liberty Stadium or Loftus Road for their atmospheres and their fans. Plus we've had some good results there!
Worst? Probably Stamford Bridge - overpriced, soulless and we lost 5-0!

Yeah, I think Swansea away in the 2011/12 season. It was the first match I'd ever seen Newcastle win in the PL (due to the fact I mostly go to away games), Cisse scored a brilliant goal and we were well on our way to finishing in a European spot. Special mention to the Benfica home game last season though, my first European experience.

I suppose the cup final in 1969, when Newcastle beat Ujpest. Either that or Tino's hatrick against Barcelona.

I used to have a soft spot for QPR because they were the first team I ever saw play (Uncle has a season ticket at Loftus Road) but not so much nowadays. SC Cambuur are my Dutch team though!

Probably Liverpool for obvious reasons.

I enjoy the rivalry with Sunderland because it's obviously a huge game and I know how much it means to everyone but because I don't live in the area I wouldn't say it means as much to be as it would a proper Geordie or a Mackem. Don't get me wrong though, I do love it when we beat you <roll> . As a club, I don't really look upon Sunderland positively, mostly down to Cattermole and Di Canio (as well as the idiots on RTG!) but I've got nothing against the ordinary Sunderland fan for all but 180 minutes of the season.

It varies from week to week. Sadly, that means I'm often more pessimistic than optimistic.

Club
- Mismanaged.
Manager / Director of Football - Struggling / Clueless.
Team? - Not fulfilling their potential.

It could be a half-decent season (i.e. a finish near the 10th place and a few cup runs) or a disaster if the team fail to perform and Kinnear is allowed to meddle further.

I'd say the same place we are now - a Premier League team with large, loyal support, but not exactly title-challengers. Hopefully we can fit in some more European football or a domestic trophy on the way.

My favourite Newcastle players are the likes of Solano, Shearer, Coloccini etc. Outside of Newcastle at the moment I'd say Ronaldinho, especially because he's still doing amazing stuff in the Brazilian league, and Bastian Schweinstieger. Oh, and Kompany.

Nothing greatly wrong with the Premier League except maybe the gulf in finance and quality between 1st and 20th place, though that's nothing unique. Like most people I recognise the need for greater attention to coaching and nurturing of talent at grassroots level which I think the 'smaller' clubs could find more advantageous than those at the top end of the table. Just look at a team like Ajax and the talent they can produce. I'd like more money into coaching and less into transfers, but of course because that requires time and is not a long term solution it's not seen as an attractive option.

The England team seem a little like a lost cause to me - too s*** to win anything but too many good players to be accepted by the nation as unexciting. In truth, they lack a footballing philosophy that would unite them which the likes of Spain possess but that's nothing that can be changed in a matter of months.

Where do I start? I guess I have the same complaints as every other fan - corruption, the extremely high wages players are paid and the power that seems to come with this, the high prices that fans are charged and the preference that corporations are given in stadiums over real fans which means that the ordinary guy loses out. Any one of those, I suppose!

A lot of the members of this forum were on the old BBC 606 and another website, so I basically followed them here once this website was created. I stayed because of the wide variety of topics people discuss here and because it's often a hilarious and interesting website.

Post subject: Re: Toon Forum Interviews Cisse's Overheating Torso
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:25 pm 

I've grew up with the stadium in the distance just like my family

Think I inherited a Barca shirt when really young, liked watching their highlights. I liked them, but never supported them.

Worst is probably Anfield. It's in an awful area, loads of pillars to block everyone's view and expected so much more. Not sure about best

I did enjoy the 5-1 but actually my favourite was my first derby. I vaguely remember the goals (Shearer and Bellamy I think), but I'll never forget the atmosphere before kick off. That first Derby was what took me from interested to really invested

Last FA cup win in 55, would get to see Milburn play

It used to be Wigan, but last season they started acting awfully. Norwich because of Houghton. Reading & Pompey too

Liverpool, I live on Merseyside and they are so self righteous. Think the whole world is in awe of them, they've anointed themselves the world's best fans (they conveniently forget Heysel)
As for Sunderland, I don't hate them/you at all. Despite all the banter, we are quite similar. to the rest of the country we are the same, we are isolated and share much culture. That's what makes the rivalry great, having mates across the divide.

Pessimistic

Club -

Financially sound, which under Hall/Sheppard was not true, we would have went bankrupt sooner or later. The scouting model and tight budgeting Ashley has hinted at could be great. However, cronyism that would bring Kinnear in undermines all that. We are clearly an infighting mess and as such can't do business.
Manager / Director of Football -
Manager: I can see why he annoys many other supporters, he is smug. He seems to motivate players well and had that good season. He seems to be under a siege mentality (with Ashley who could blame him?). this leads to negative tactics and reliance on his favourite players over new more promising ones. Hence we have Shola and Jonas playing far too much. Also, I wish he'd stop playing players out of position (but that seems to be common with modern manager).
Team? -
A decent 11, albeit with some players in long patches of bad form. However, no depth at all and some very injury prone players. We also rely far too much on Ben Arfa/Cabaye for creativity. Can't cross a ball to save our lives.

Around the relegation zone, but maybe just avoiding it. Dull on the pitch, drama off it. Exactly the opposite of what we want.

Hopefully still in the top flight and not in administration. Of course we'll still be trophy-less, almost goes without saying.

Solano, Pirlo, Bergkamp
Don't care about England. Football is all about money now, but I don't say that as a judgement. Economically it is successful. We have demand and can pay for the best footballers, we get what we pay for. There are still fans and rich men to buy clubs and lose lots of money (even at the 5th tier). Although I hate the role of agents.

Agents fees. (I guess the answer FIFA is too broad)

I work with geeks who aren't into footy, so it gives me a chance to talk about it /skive at work. A link back to home too. Also funny people on the sight

Post subject: Re: Toon Forum Interviews Paco
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:45 pm 

When I was younger I wasn't really into football, and at secondary school was forced to choose a team, which just happened to be Newcastle very slightly due to the fact Michael Owen played for them . However I have to say I'm very happy with the choice.

My parents didn't care about football, so all I knew as a youngster was Beckham existed, so slightly Man U, but barely and usually just said I didn't support a team.

Only been to the Emirates, and it's massive! Bigger than the Abbey at any rate.

Very happy to beat Chelsea 2-0 away, Cisse's goals were just <awe>

Probably the 5-0 v Man U. Or the 4-4

Cambridge United are my local team and so are a comfortable second. Like seeing upsets in general.

Arsenal fans can be massive twats. But club wise it varies depending on who most recently have been twatty to us. So Wigan were a hate last season for instance, but I don't really care about that now.

I like to pretend I'm a pessimist, but about an hour before the game I'll always think we have a chance of winning.

Club - It's doing ok, less of a rollercoaster than is made out. Can't see Ashley being around much longer though.
Manager / Director of Football - Pards is hard to judge, we never seem to perform that well but I like him/JFK - <laugh>
Team? - I think it's fantastic. Krul, Colo, Cabaye, Ben Arfa are brilliant.

Better than last season, maybe top 10.

I honestly have no idea. Probably under new ownership and that could go any direction

Claudio Pizarro, David Beckham, Hatem Ben Arfa,

Football is doing very well for itself. The PL will recover and become the 'best' league and will lose it again. It seems to rotate, once it was Italy, then us, then Spain now Germany is the best. Could be France at some point, but the PL will be a top league. I definitely support England, but to about the extent I support Cambridge, not Newcastle.

Less being twats.

Posted a bit on 606, more on not606 and got a big money transfer to TF. It's great as you can talk about more than just football, but obviously lots of posters are very knowledgeable about football as well.

Post subject: Re: Toon Forum Interviews Minty Fresh
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:49 pm 

Family basically. I had no choice.

Always Newcastle.

Only Newcastle away games I've been to were at Leeds and Blackburn. Ewood Park is a bit s***. Of the other grounds I've been to, Hillsborough and The Emirates are probably my favourites - obviously for completely different reasons.

I was at the 4-4 draw with Arsenal. The scenes after Tiote's goal were unbelievable. Nothing I've seen before or since at SJP has come close.

The 3-2 against Barcelona.

Nobody in the Premier League. Outside of it I try to follow Leeds and Bradford as much as possible.

I don't really mind Sunderland. That could well change if you start outperforming us, but I don't want to see you go down either - the emotional turmoil of the derby is a huge part of supporting either team. If I had to pick a team that I disliked the most it would be Liverpool for the whole 'special club' attitude and the way that Rodgers uses it as a cheap gimmick to get fans onboard. Then again I do recognise that not all Liverpool fans are like that and I am wary of generalising entire fanbases seeing as it's something that we Newcastle fans suffer a lot of.

I'm normally pretty pessimistic going into matches but I try to look back on them in an optimistic way, if that makes any sense.

Club -

Could be a lot better, could be a lot worse. We seem on a pretty stable financial footing, but the lack of ambition from those at the top of the club is depressing.

I don't have much faith in Pardew. His tactics for most games baffle me and he doesn't seem to know how to get the best out of our more technical, creative players. However the 2011/12 season and our run in the Europa League did show that he is capable of being a decent manager, so there is a glimmer of hope that he can turn things around. As for Kinnear, my views on him are the same as everyone else's.

Team? -

As others have said, a very decent first team but terrible strength in depth.

We'll have a good run of form where everyone gets carried away and then a bad one where we start worrying about relegation before eventually settling somewhere in mid table. In the cups we'll do absolutely nothing, as usual.

Impossible to tell. Long term planning isn't really Newcastle's - or many teams in modern football's - style. I highly doubt that Mike Ashley will still be here though. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing we'll have to wait and see.

Non NUFC: Ronaldinho, Henry, Zidane

NUFC: Solano, Shola, Ben Arfa

Lower ticket prices.

It's a good place for NUFC discussion that I can't really have with anyone I know. There's a decent mix of opinions and personalities on here and the non-football related boards add that little bit extra. The smileys are great too.

Post subject: Re: Toon Forum Interviews Bodacious Benny
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:58 pm 

I grew up in Devon, went to the beach at Woolacombe one day when I was 9, needed a cap and bought a Newcastle United one from a beachfront shop. Entirely random, but 19 years later I wouldn't change it for the world.

I had a bit of a softspot for Rangers when I was younger (Laudrup and Albertz were awesom).

Worst = The Etihad. The stadium is great, but Man City fans were shockingly bad.

Best = Bristol City. Great atmosphere!

4-4 with Arsenal. Once in a lifetime stuff.

The 5-0 v Man U.

[color=#8000FF]Which other team or teams in the Premier/Championship (or indeed elsewhere) have you a soft spot for?[/color]

Premier League = Norwich (Hughton <awe> , and my best friend supports them)
League Two = Exeter City (grew up 5 miles away)

Villa for their fans delight in putting the last nail in our relegation coffin.

Having never lived in the NE I don't have anything against Sunderland and enjoy the anticipation of the derby. You can feel the passion.

Not as pessimistic as a lot on here, but a mild one.

Club -

Financially sound, a decent starting XI but lacking strength in depth in some key areas.

Ashley's only aim is for us to survive each season, anything else is a bonus for him.

I like Pardew as a person, and have a lot of respect for the job he did when he arrived in difficult circumstances. But I don't think he can get the best out of our continental squad.

Kinnear, wtf does he do? Footballing dinosaur to go with our coaches that belong in the Jurrasic period.

Team? -

Decent on paper, but need coaches and a manager that can get the best out of them.

A lot of frustrating performances, but a mid-table finish. Hopefully Remy can give us a new dimension in attack as we're too predictable. The last 20 mins v Fulham was encouraging.

Pretty much where we are now if Ashley stays.

NUFC = Shearer, Solano, Robert, Colo, Enrique.

Non NUFC = Laudrup, Albertz, Rivaldo, Iniesta, Maldini, Cafu.

The national side is two generations behind the likes of Spain and Germany. England struggle against any team with good technical ability.

Financial Fair Play is a farce. The top 6 are in a league of their own, the rest of us are feeding off their scraps and aiming for 7th at best.

Normal fans getting every possible penny bled from them.

Was invited over when we left not606 and stuck with it. Doesn't give me much as I'm largely ignored

Post subject: Re: Toon Forum Interviews Mifune
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:01 pm 

I can't really remember why because I was about two when I started supporting them; but my Grandad was from Newcastle and supported them, so I guess I got into them through him.

Always and forever <neg>.

Have not been to enough to really say.

Fulham last season probably thanks to Cisse's last minute winner <awe>.

The 5-0 (Man U), or 4-4 (Arsenal).

Outside of the PL I have always liked Real Madid, Roma and Juventus. In the PL I quite like Chelsea now because of Mourinho and some of the players they have. I also like Wenger, but Arsenal as a club are kind of annoying.

Liverpool for the reason stated by others. Everton are also annoying due to their uncalled-for hatred towards us <laugh>. Dislike Villa as well because of how their fans reacted to us getting relegated. Used to love Ronaldinho's Barca, but I don't like Messi's Barca at all. Never had any strong hatred towards Sunderland, but I have started to dislike them more now that have Di Canio as manager.

I always try to see things as clearly as I can without any optimistic or pessimistic slant. No doubt I am seen as very optimistic in comparison to the majority of this board, but that is just due to the way I see the current situation, rather than a pre-determined mental attitude.

Club - Before the summer I was firmly behind how Ashley was running it; however after this summer I am verging on disillusionment in how and the direction it is being run.
Manager / Director of Football - I think Pardew can do a good job for us despite having to manage under challenging conditions. I also think his man management skills have been priceless for us. / It is inexplicable that JFK is our (or anyone's) DoF.
Team? - I think we have a very good first XI, and ok squad depth apart from in attack.

Barring any major injuries, I think we can challenge for top 7/8.

No clue.

Shearer, Zidane, Totti, Ronaldinho, Henry.

On the pitch I think both football in general and the PL are in a very good place; off the pitch I hate how it is run. In regards to England I think that it is being run by completely the wrong people and because of this it has no (successful) future.

The corruption and the bias towards the big clubs. (I know that is technically two but they fall under the same umbrella)

Came for the Newcastle talk; stayed for all the other boards/discussions.

Post subject: Re: Toon Forum Interviews TJR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:59 pm 

I was born and raised on Tyneside. My family are from around here as well. Personally I believe the right thing to do is support your local team. I don't like people who support the Manchesters or Chelsea etc despite being from nowhere near where the team is located and having never lived in that area or have any family connections to it. I've always loved football and always loved Newcastle United.

I always have and always will support Newcastle United.

I've only been to Anfield, the Emirates, the Madjeski, the Hawthorns, the Riverside, the DW and Elland Road. Anfield was by far the worst. From the back few rows you can't see the far end of the pitch because of the roof, the area is the biggest s*** hole imaginable and the 'famous kop atmosphere' is the biggest myth in football. I can't really choose a best as none were that good to be honest. Its probably out of the Emirates , the DW and the Madjeski. The best stadium I've been to is Wembley but I was supporting the home team. Its a magnificent stadium.

Out of the once I've been to live, the 4-4 draw against Arsenal. The scenes were incredible when Tiote scored that equaliser. The 5-1 against you lot and the 3-0 win over Man Utd were close runners up, mainly because of our performance on both occasions, we played both teams off the park and historically we aren't too friendly with either of those teams.

The 5-0 over Man Utd, I'd have only been 2 or 3 but even so, its something I would have loved to have witnessed.

I like a lot of teams but wouldn't go as far as saying I have a soft spot for them. I love football and try to follow a lot of leagues. Plymouth is the only team (other than Newcastle of course) that I've been to see live more than once.

Sunderland, although I think there is a lot of similarities between the fan bases, we are just a different breed up here in the North East to elsewhere and day to day (with the exception of a few tossers on both sides) the two fan bases seem to get along well in daily life although there is still a healthy rivalry. To be honest I don't mind Sunderland that much (other than on derby days) and seep dwn I don't mind seeing them do well (as long as we are doing better) as its good for North East football.

Liverpool, I don't think I've come across a decent Liverpool fan yet. They all seem to be massive pricks. Also them constantly saying this year is our year and thinking they have some god given right to win the league every year gets annoying. As well as the constant history lessons. Also Rodgers is a cock and before him Daglish was a bigger cock and I also dislike Gerrard. Basically I don't like the entire club.

I always used to be optimistic but now I'm a pessimist because of Newcastle United. Maybe if we get an manager like Sir Bobby and start to do well again I'll get more optimistic again.

Club -

Absolute joke. The owner has 0 ambition. When we finished 5th, everyone knows that is the summer you have to invest heavily into your squad, to make you stronger and challenge for that 5th or maybe even higher the following season as well as having a good European run. Of course Newcastle being Newcastle did nothing in that transfer window. Then we signed who we should have signed in the summer (plus we should have got a few other in as well) in January which just about saved us from an increasingly likely relegation. Then this summer we had the lucrative new TV contract money (like all premiership clubs) and we had the Wonga money coming in, yet we didn't sign anyone and instead Ashley hired some drunken clown as a director of football and we got rid of squad players like Perch and Simpson, who weren't the best but provided decent cover and they weren't replaced. Also two transfer windows after selling Ba we still haven't replaced him. Remy is a good signing but he'll be gone at the end of the year.

We are actively trying to get rid of Ashley now, there has been several meetings between fan groups and there has been talk of a sit in protest after the Hull game, a boycott of the Leeds cup game and a march and demonstration before the Liverpool game.

Pardew has an extremely hard job, given that he has no control over transfers and has to report to the most useless director of football on the planet who in turn reports to an owner who knows nothing whatsoever about football. However last season his tactics were shocking. Our tactics are pass to Ben Arfa and hope he can take everyone on and score a wonder goal (which he often does but obviously can't every week) and once that doesn't work plan B is bring on Shola and hoof it to him. Meanwhile Cisse attempts to break the world record for most offsides in a game. We've signed talented French internationals and that but over time it seems Pardew has some how found a way to coach the skill out of them and make them into hoof ball merchants. This season you can see we are trying not to play as much hoof ball but we are still s****. As for our director of football, the less said about that useless w***** the better.

Team? -

Talented players capable of great things but they are set up so wrong, often played out of position and have to play a style of play that doesn't suit them. We have very little squad depth as well.

I haven't a clue, it could be anything between relegation and top 6, although I don't think it'll be either. We'll probably finish about 12th or something. We'll probably be our usual combination of good at times and s**** even more of the time throughout the season.

Hopefully our current owner, director of football, manager, coaching staff and medical staff will be long gone by then and hopefully we'll win a trophy in that period. I doubt it like. One thing that is for certain with Newcastle is that its never boring and its almost impossible to predict whats waiting for us around the corner. 10 years is a long time in football and its impossible to predict where we'll be then.

Shearer, Shola, Zidane, Nolan, Pirlo, Maldini, Alonso, Xavi and Lampard to name a few.

I think the Premier league is the best league in the world and the England team suffers because of that and because of the 'English way' that English players are brought up playing.

Make the game more fan friendly (e.g cheaper tickets, cheaper food/drink in stadiums, safe standing etc).

I enjoy talking about Newcastle and football and ToonForum by far the best Newcastle United forum.

Post subject: Re: Toon Forum Interviews Beatski
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:04 pm 

local team

always

haven't ever been to an away game

Newcastle 4 - 3 Huddersfield. 1 - 3 down just after half time, quality comeback

Newcastle 5 - 0 Man U

meh, i suppose i find it hard to dislike tottenham at the minute, AVB is quality, and they've gotten rid of bale

Liverpool, can't stand the pompous self-entitled fans, that they are seen as a somehow 'special' club above the likes of the lowly others, Brendan Rodgers, or the fact that half the pundits are associated with them and ridiculously biased.

I don't particularly dislike Sunderland, the season wouldn't be nearly as interesting without a rivalry, and I'd actually like to see the NE doing well as a whole (although obviously with Sunderland never actually winning anything). I see Sunderland as like the annoying little brother to Newcastle; not as good, trying to emulate, and seemingly more interested in being better than us than just being good.

i flip between optimist and pessimist. at the minute though, pessimist

Club - ...
Manager / Director of Football - ...
Team? - ...

meh,
Pardew is w***, I'm thoroughly sick of him making the same mistakes every match and not learning from them; players out of positions, picking favourites ahead of more talented players, baffling substitutions (although to his credit he got them right vs Fulham), refusing to go back to the 433 that he stumbled upon at the end of the 11/12 season (which is literally the only time we've played consistently good football under him), lack of tactical nous (the team tends to look clueless in the final 3rd, there's not enough off the ball movement). I could probably go on. he's done the same thing at his previous clubs too, so i have little confidence that he'll turn things around. Kinnear; deluded ("perfect fit for newcastle then har har")arrogant loud mouthed half wit, precisely the most counterproductive personality traits for the role, travesty of an appointment. The actual team is really good IMO (if a bit understaffed and lacking any quality English players), we just don't have the backroom staff to make the most of it

average to poor. repeated mistakes (as outlined above). uninspired football. probably finish 13th.

Impossible to tell, it is Newcastle after all

David Rozehnal

rubbish. its structured so that the elite will always remain the elite, which kills off competition. the FA is more interested in making money, and the 'premier league brand' than the actual football. not enough English talent due to the way things are generally done (its a hot topic at the min so i won't elaborate, as its probably been said). The England squad is hindered by outright favouritism to the media darlings/big reputation/players for big clubs (Can't stand Welbeck on the left).

bias

The ([Arsene Wenger]) Smiley

Post subject: Re: Toon Forum Interviews Sir Bobby
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:07 pm 

I was forced into it by family, especially my uncle. I don't know why I identified with them but when I was young my Grandma loved Sir Bobby and always went on about how nice he was, so that just increased my love for them

Always Newcastle

Best: Emirates
Worst: So many but Goodison is probably worst

Feyenoord 2-3 Newcastle

Newcastle 3-1 Man City (FA Cup Final Win)

I don't have a big soft spot for any one team but there's a lot that I like to see do well

Sunderland, of course, but also Liverpool. I think the rivalry is one of the best 2/3 rivalries in the country in terms of size, passion, history, entertainment. The only thing that lets us down is that it's never important in deciding which of us wins the title or gets into the top 4 etc. I think, in terms of supporters, we both have passionate fans, some of which are morons. Overall we have the better fans though 8-)

I think I'm fairly realistic; it's just that realistically it's gonna be a s*** few years until Ashley sells. I don't think we'll go down under him again though

Club

Fairly run of the mill
Manager/Director of Football
Manager: Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. I quite like him but he's a s*** tactician and seemingly a s*** motivator.
DoF: Pointless; I don't think he's anywhere near as damaging to the club as people go on but I do think he's a waste of space
Team?
Talented players that don't seem to work very hard or gel well together

Similar to our first season back in the Prem. Finish somewhere from 9th-13th

Hopefully where Everton were 5 years ago. Probably where we are now

Shearer, Robert, Zidane, Messi

In general: It annoys me. I don't like a lot about it anymore and I've only been going to matches for 15 years.
EPL: I like Sky Super Sunday and MNF and the better games of the Prem excite me... it's still imo the best league, but I'd rather be playing a game than watching a lot of the ones on TV. I think it's becoming too predictable and mundane.
England: Never been that bothered by them. I don't really have any idea as to how good they are, but I hope they do well

Make myself President of FIFA so I could change a fucktonne of things

Living in Sheffield, it gives me somewhere to talk about football with other Newcastle fans that aren't my family

Post subject: Re: Toon Forum Interviews
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:56 pm 

Dead right, a lovely forum, and really active posting. I actually know most of the 'culprits', some of them have joined in our games in the past. Paco is one with an enormous amount of guessing luck - or skill? - and Minty Fresh is also a great character. Well, they all are ...

Bravo for BCC, this is the way forward in the future. (Ah, by the way count on RR if you want to hear a Royal apart from daib0!)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:30 pm 

Canny read that, especially the rivalry comments. I like it how it's more friendly than the knobheads who cause bother at derby matches.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:29 am 

It is seriously worth a Sunderland supporter going and having a look at Toon forum. It's a BCC like forum but with lots of posters, all of whom just made a simple mistake earlier in life and ended up supporting the junior team.

8-)

Post subject: Re: Toon Forum Interviews MultipleJesuses
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:33 am 

During EURO 96 I bought one of those big headed footballer toys of Alan Shearer, and I followed Newcastle purely because of him and have stuck with them ever since.

I always had an appreciation of Arsenal from the Anelka days right up until Henry left but nothing ever before or after. However in terms of support it has always been Newcastle.

Upton Park the best - Just really nice people all around you and friendly banter between both fans. Neither side stopped singing for the 90 mins.
Villa Park the worst - It was a complete s*** hole with absolutely no atmosphere.

Alan Shearer's testimonial vs Celtic

Newcastle beating Man Utd 5-0 in 96. Or beating Sheffield Wednesday 8-0.

Swansea, Burton Albion and Crawley. Also Glenavon from Northern Ireland.

Sunderland, Liverpool and Spurs. The dislike for Sunderland is just kind of ingrained in me from following Newcastle for so long. I only know one Sunderland fan in real life and he's an utter t*** but I have nothing against Sunderland fans unless they're cheering a goal vs Newcastle.

Complete pessimist. I go into 90% of games expecting a loss.

Club - Love everything but the board.
Manager- I feel sorry for him at times but he is tactically inept and I'd much prefer a continental manager
Director of Football - There aren't enough expletives to justify my feelings toward him
Team? - Love our first...13 or 14 names on the team sheet and I genuinely believe we have one of the top 6 starting XI's in the prem but as soon as we get an injury or two we're fucked.

Complete mediocrity

Mid-table obscurity

Shearer, Best, Henry, Messi and fat Ronaldo. In that order.

I think the EPL is on a slow decline while the likes of the Bundesliga, Ligue 1, La Liga and Serie A are getting better with each season but I think the EPL will always be the top league in the world. My main problem is the huge gap (quality and finance) between the top 6 and the rest of the league.

As an outsider looking in on the England team I think the main problem comes from the media. England beat Macedonia or San Marino and all of sudden you're the greatest international team ever who will easily win the impending World Cup or Euro's but when you lose against someone like Germany or France all of a sudden the manager MUST be sacked and you're the worst team ever.
The public and media has to accept how incredibly average the English players are and cut them a bit of slack.

Much, much, much more severe financial restrictions.
Harder stance on racism.
Technology would be used a lot more in offsides, penalties etc
The entire British grassroots program need to be scrapped and started again.

I came here for transfer rumors but I stayed because I liked the users so much.

Post subject: Re: Toon Forum Interviews Bateman
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:37 am 

I've been a fan of Newcastle as long as I can remember. I've been told it's from a love for Alan Shearer during Euro 96 when I would've been only about 4. After that tournament he signed for Newcastle and yeah. Never looked back really.

Nope, always Newcastle.

Not been to too many away grounds as a Newcastle fan so can't fairly say, really.

All of 'em!

5-0 v Man Utd or the 4-4 v Arsenal are always going to be popular choices here.

Prem-wise, it's hard to say really. I always have soft spots for a particular player rather than the actual team. Teams like Chelsea and City have obviously signed great players recently so I like watching them purely to see them play nice football.
As for others, Leeds and Lincoln mostly. My Dad's a Leeds fan, and I'm from Lincoln! Not the 3 best teams for success in our household, really...

Man U are an obvious choice, especially since I've been raised by a Leeds supporter <roll>. Liverpool and Villa, too.
I've very indifferent about Sunderland - but that'll probably be because I'm not from Newcastle. Obviously it's always nice to beat your rivals but I think some supporters get too obsessed over it.
As for the relationship between the two clubs - obviously I like to see a healthy rivalry, with some good 'banter' (for want of a less-dickish word) etc. It can get a bit stupid and pathetic at times though, just like any other club rivalry really.

Optimistically pessimistic. I'm positive that we're going to see the worst.

Club - Overall, okay. Good following, we're in the top flight, we're not in financial ruin.
Manager / Director of Football - Pardew can be a good manager but he makes stupid decisions sometimes. I wouldn't mind if he was replaced if there was an adequate replacement, but I'm happy to see him stay since I'm afraid of who that replacement would be. Kinnear is a joke, but what else is new...
Team? - We've got a good team, good first XI. We just need better tactics, a bigger squad, for players to be on form and not to be bloody injured/refusing to play...

Average. Comfortably win some games with little goals; scrape through some games; put up a good fight against the big teams but lose; get stuffed by other teams and lose against teams we should be beating. Anywhere around mid table, 9th-14th.

Nowhere drastically different, barring a massive change at the club...

Shearer (obviously) & I've always loved Lampard, no idea why. Perch too, of course.

I'd agree with Cal and say that as a form of entertainment it's fantastic, it's still massive. In actual footballing terms it could be better. Too much cheating and it can almost seem too trivial at times. The England team is as it always has been - some promising youngsters but disappointing at best.

I would make Newcastle the best team ever.
But seriously, probably the cheating side of it.

It gives me a false sense of inclusion.

Plus, Cal says I have to. He has the keys to our cell and he's the only one that feeds us.

Post subject: Re: Toon Forum Interviews outre-merTOON
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:40 am 

It’s my Dads fault. I lay all the blame on him for all the abject misery and utter elation I’ve experienced supporting this team. We’d just moved back from the US and my Dad took me to see his favourite team versus Newcastle. Bournemouth won with route one football and Newcastle passed the ball and played down the wings. All the time I’d played and trained my Dad always told me to pass the ball and utilise space so my love affair with Newcastle began

Having been raised in the US, I did support the New York Cosmos for many years when we lived near New York but then the North American Soccer League went bust and we didn’t have a football/soccer team left.

Best for me was the San Siro for a Milan derby and just thinking about the noise, the reactions and the atmosphere raises hairs on the back of my neck. My worst memory of a ground was Somerset Road (the home of Ayr United) because my coffee froze solid in my hands.

Shola’s winner at Stamford Bridge shortly after Chelsea had equalised for 3-3 and they began chanting “That’s why we’re Champions” only for Bambi to head up the other end, put it into the back of the net and a shell shocked Chelsea stadium were serenaded with “That’s why we’re Champions”.

The 5-0 demolition of Man Utd. I’d been working in a kitchen as a chef that day and was listening to snippets of the coverage on the radio.

Ayr United in Scotland. My uncle, rest his soul, was a big fan and instead of choosing one of the Old Firm like many others had, he chose his local team and I used to watch matches with him.

I can’t see the point in disliking fans of another club because at the end of the day they are just as passionate and/or blinkered about their club as I am of Newcastle. In terms of Sunderland AFC, I see you as the one team I really want to beat each year and finish above in the league. I know quite a few SAFC fans down here in the smoke of London and we’ve all got a healthy respect for each other as people and supporters but for two games a season we let our hair down a bit.

I’m always optimistic. I have to be. There are always ups and downs in supporting this club but when things go right on and off the pitch then the feelings of elation are worth all the pains of despondency so I just look towards forwards to the good times.

Club - ... Would be better if there was clearer direction shown from the board level about targets and ambitions but we’ve had worse owners in my time so I’ll wait and see. There is so much potential to unlock if they want to.
Manager / Director of Football - ... I like Pardew. He’s never going to set the world alight a la Pep Guardiola but he’s good enough to bring this squad on and if he’s given the backing he needs then he’ll be OK. Joe Kinnear needs to be forced into retirement. Instantly.
Team? - ... Stronger overall than this time last season. Would have been nice to have a few additional players to add depth in quality and not just quantity but good enough for a top 10 finish

Painful and wonderful. Like every season

Involved in the second tier of a SKY SPORTS created European Super League playing against teams with American Football sounding names and Shola Ameobi will be the manager.

I watched Pele when I a kid and he was amazing with the ball at his feet. Selfish perhaps but he was able to be selfish given his talent.

Football is in trouble as far as I can see. It’s distanced itself from its ‘grass roots’ and success is valued far more valuable to a club and area so that grass roots players and development are overlooked for a quick fix from abroad.

Agents. Sure players need some representation to help look after their best interests but the agents have too much power and sway and are payed far too much for their job.

I'd been on 606, not 606 and then migrated* here with many of the others.

It's good.

* They have my wife and children. They allow me to talk to them on Skype one hour a month as long as I keep posting. You could help me. Please.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:05 pm 

Noticed that quite a few haven't been to any away games. I guess forum is mainly for 'armchair fans'. Nowt wrong with that I'll be joining them (not the skunks) when age/enthusiasm takes its toll

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:09 pm 

Towers wrote:
Noticed that quite a few haven't been to any away games. I guess forum is mainly for 'armchair fans'. Nowt wrong with that I'll be joining them (not the skunks) when age/enthusiasm takes its toll

and let's face it, most forums around have a sizeable chunk of supporters who live away or overseas. It's a logical way for them to keep closely in touch ...

Post subject: Re: Toon Forum Interviews The Rock Lobster
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:17 am 

I have been brought up in Newcastle all my life. As for identifying with the team, I don't really feel I do atm.

My family are all Celtic supporters so follow them a bit but not as much as I do Newcastle

Never been to an away ground!

5-1 v you lot :)

Probably the 5-0 V Man U. I was too young to appreciate at the time

None really

I don't really care about Sunderland or your fans bar when we play you. The relationship between the fans though is getting a bit too intense for my liking.

An optimistic pessimist.

Club
- An owner who doesn't care
Manager / Director of Football - A DoF who can't DoF. Pardew is not ideal either.
Team? - Team is decent. Lots of talent in there. Whether the heart and fight is that's another question.

... I honestly haven't a clue.

... in the hands of a new owner hopefully

... Henrik Larsson, the proper Ronaldo and Ronaldinho.

Premier League is fun. The state of the defending makes for a better watch <laugh> England team are average under an average manager.

... Sky's exclusivity over TV deals and the PL's reluctance to broadcast 3pm games in this country.

... On the whole a knowledgable group of posters and quite a few differing views however they're put across constructively instead of simply arguing.

Post subject: Re: Toon Forum Interviews holystone
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:20 am 

Geordie
Yes

Nou Camp. / Tranmere Rovers

Barca.

Fairs Cup Final

None

Unwashed/they hate us. We don't care about them

Pessimistic

Club -
Manager / Director of Football - ...
Team? - ...

Dire

Dire

EPL

...Beardsley/Cryuff

...Money buys success/England screwed because of lack of EPL talent pool

...Cap Europe wide the wages .

...Niche Toon site/comfort of old posters from BBC 606/Not606.

Post subject: Re: Toon Forum Interviews Magnifique Georges
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:25 am 

Just chose them when I was young and it stuck. By the time I realised where the hell Newcastle was it was too late!

Always, since 5. No lower league team, no real second team. Just room for one, but I am a bit of a fanatic.

Worst. The Valley, nasty location.
Best. The Emirates, so comfy.

4-4 v Arsenal. I saw the 5-1 as well and it was a great day but the 4-4 was something else. Just for sheer tension, atmosphere and that late europhic moment it wins. I'm not a big one for shouting along (not least because I don't have a Geordie accent) and I was there with a bunch of neutrals and we were all roaring the boys on that day. It was special.

3-2 v Feyenoord. I had to listen on the radio. It wasn't the same. Come to think of it I listened to the 5-0 v Man U on the radio too. Maybe I should do it more often.

Just teams my mates support really. It's nice to see Chris Hughton doing well also.

Sunderland to me gets bigged up. You'll probably disagree but as a bit of an outsider it feels like Sunderland big the Derby up a bit like a little brother trying to prove himself against a big brother, that kind of always wanting to prove themselves whereas we're a bit more like 'meh' about the whole occasion and it's only important to win the Derby to save ourselves the grief of having to hear about it. For me clubs I don't like are Man U (obviously), Tottenham and perhaps Liverpool although I do respect what the fans do at Anfield, it seems like an imposing place to go.

Externally I come across as a pessimist because we constantly shoot ourselves in the foot, but deep down, for my sins, I always think we've got a chance.

Club - s****. We don't take enough away tickets to satisfy members which means people based in other parts of the country such as myself can rarely get to games. I can't even get a members edition shirt because they are/were only available from the club store.

Manager / Director of Football - I'm not convinced by Pardew at all. I like how the club is being run financially, people will tell you we didn't spend any money which is correct but Gomis is never an 8m player. We got Remy which is who we wanted in Jan, we kept hold of our best players and we'll go again in January for players who have 6 months left on their deal. There's no point spending money on players who don't improve the team and I'm not sure they were out there this summer, at least in the markets we shop.

Team? - The 11 is strong (well I'm not a Cisse man at all but perhaps Remy can help create some space/chances for him) but the squad is thin. In Coloccini and Ben Arfa I think we have 2 of the best players in the league. I love Tim Krul as well. I think Cabaye is overrated though, he's a quality passer for sure but he'd struggle at the very top imho. Sissoko is an exciting player.

No idea. Midtable?

Based in Newcastle

I don't really have these but I always had soft spots for Nobby Solano and Antoine Sibierski. A better question is who is the best player of your lifetime. Zidane. And Fat Ronaldo pre injuries.

Too much money, too much of a monopoly. How can anyone compete with the Top 3 without serious foreign investment? I don't think it can be done. Build a good team and they'll just cherrypick your better players.

Less money/less of a gap in money such that we'd see more of the old school player loyalty, less spoilt prats ect. Make it a sport again. Football is a victim of it's own success. That said I still love the game, I still buy sky, go to games ect so maybe I'm talking s**** as usual

It's nice to meet a fellow group of people equally infatuated by the abnormally large size of Peter Lovenkrands' penis

Post subject: Re: Toon Forum Interviews KingoStarr
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:30 am 

I was born there, moved to Coventry very young and it was either Newcastle or Cov and I just picked Newcaslte, when I think about it which ever team I'd have picked I'd be hated by Sunderland fans <laugh>

Always Newcastle

The best would probably be the Hawthorns is a nice ground in a decent area, worst is Ewood park by a landslide!

Coventry 0-2 Newcastle in the Championship season because all my mates and acquaintances were sat in the other end being glum

1969 Fairs Cup final would be quality to see us win some proper silverware

FC Copenhagen of Denmark are my second team watch about 75% of their matches

I hate all of the big teams 'fans' this is due to half of them being fans purely for the reason they win a lot of games. I don't actively hate Sunderland but they wind me up most because (like Newcastle) they have a small section of fans who are massive WUM's and are ridiculous. However most are ok and a good laugh.

Realistic

Club
- Average its turning over a profit however the lack of investment into other things as well as transfers is a little disheartening.
Manager / Director of Football - Shambolic
Team? - First XI brilliant, after that very very average.

I feel it will be very boring, uneventful and we will finish between 10th-14th

If Ashley is still the owner then I feel we will be in exactly the same position maybe a flukey trophy but I highly doubt it.

Alan Shearer
Edgar Davids
Shay Given
Xavi

The England team is a confusing one because they show such promise sometimes but then pick the same old players who let us down. The Premier League is different the teams and competitiveness is brilliant and gets better every year but the FA is a huge joke I just hate them.

I'd like to do a Fantasy Premier League style thing where every team in every division were given a budget Wage/Transfer based on an algorithm so it was a fair amount. and then the best managers would win.

It has a great group of posters, its a top laugh and some of the things that have happened are here are just fantastic <laugh>

Post subject: Re: Toon Forum Interviews Pardew's Legendary Specs
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:33 pm 

Whilst I'm a southerner, both my parents are Geordies so it was a natural choice as you tend to follow your dads support

Always Newcastle

Quite like Fulham, just because its a bit different and it's a nice area with a lovely walk from the pubs/bars through the park to. He ground

Probably spurs 2-3 NUFC. Thunderbolt of an Oba strike stunned spurs to go 2-2 and we scored soon after that to win. Was sat in the corporate end with spurs. I might have celebrated, oops!

5-0 vs Man U (was listening on the radio <laugh>)

Local team is bishops stortford

Which team or teams do you least like (i.e. heartily dislike!)? And if this isn't Sunderland, or even if it is, what do you Liverpool; fans mentality that they will win the league every year (and people call Newcastle deluded)
Don't mind Sunderland fans (prob from not being from the north east) but some fans are idiots (but then they are usually the ones that get the media coverage - same as every club, Newcastle included)

Realistic

Club - undecided, could go either way easily
Manager / Director of Football - No comment (my mother always said if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all <roll>)
Team? - majority of team are fantastic, after that very very average.

Mid table

No change

Alan Shearer
Pedro
Benny

The England team is a confusing one because they show such promise sometimes but then pick the same old players who let us down. The Premier League is different the teams and competitiveness is brilliant and gets better every year but the FA is a huge joke I just hate them.

The money!

Good diverse group of posters

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:05 pm 

excellent answers, confirms the good opinion I've always held for this forum!

Page 1 of 1 [ 29 posts ]