It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:28 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Match Reports Watford v Sunderland 15/05/16 and we are safe.
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:36 am 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36240332

Watford 15:00 Sunderland

TEAM NEWS

Watford head coach Quique Sanchez Flores is expected to have an unchanged squad for his final match in charge.

Valon Behrami and Etienne Capoue remain on the sidelines with rib and knee injuries respectively.

Sunderland manager Sam Allardyce says he will promote some players from the under-21 side after his team secured their survival on Wednesday.

Midfielder George Honeyman, left-back Tommy Robson and winger Rees Greenwood could all be involved.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Tony Husband: "Quique Sanchez Flores will be able to walk away from Watford proud of his achievements.

"True, they have lost seven of their last 10 games amid a major dip in form, but Flores took them as high as seventh at one stage this season and, of the promoted clubs, they were safe first.

"It hasn't kept him in a job but should ensure he gets another one.

"Sunderland have been consistent in the sense that for three years they've flirted dangerously with the drop and then secured safety.

"After giving Sam Allardyce some sleepless nights over the winter, they found their feet this spring.

"One defeat in 10, a settled line-up and Jermain Defoe among the goals.

"Black Cats fans must be hoping they mix it up a bit more next season!"

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Watford head coach Quique Sanchez Flores:
"I've had the opportunity to work in the Premier League and have been part of this amazing Watford team, so in this moment I feel free.

"This has been good for my experience and I'll take away the experience and things I have learned here.

"It's a long season in England and it's really, really good for a team who has just been promoted to get 44 points. They have finished in the position they deserve. My work is done."

Sunderland manager Sam Allardyce: "My idea is to play some younger players on Sunday.

"The under-21s have had a great year and I think that some of them need to play in the team to see if they can cope at this level when the pressure is off.

"That's not saying we will go there and lie down because I expect these lads to compete at this level and show why there may be a place for them in the squad in the future."

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

I find it bizarre that Flores is on his way out after a year at the club. There is no recognition of the job he has done, just the belief someone else can do better - I am not convinced.

I think the players like Flores, though, which is why I am backing Watford to win. Defeat would not be the end of the world for Sunderland.

Prediction: 2-1 and who cares?

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• Watford won the reverse fixture 1-0 in December - their first league win over Sunderland since 1999 (D2, L4).

Watford

• Watford have lost seven of their last 10 league matches (W2, D1).
  • The Hornets won 29 points from their first 18 matches this season - they have taken just 15 from their subsequent 19 games.
  • Troy Deeney has scored three times in his last three Premier League games, as many as in his previous 16 combined.
  • Deeney has set up seven goals for Odion Ighalo this season in the Premier League - no player has provided more assists for another more often.

Sunderland

• Sunderland are unbeaten in their last five games and have only lost one of their last 10 (W3, D6).
  • However, they have won just one of their last seven Premier League away matches (D4, L2).
  • Sunderland have named the same starting XI for seven games in succession, something they've never done before in the Premier League.
  • They spent 237 days in the bottom three this season - only Southampton in 1998-99 were in the relegation zone for longer without being relegated (252).

SAM's verdict

Most probable score: 1-0 Probability of draw: 30%
Probability of home win: 45% Probability of away win: 25%

SAM (Sports Analytics Machine) is a super-computer created by Professor Ian McHale at the University of Salford that is used to predict the outcome of football matches.

Post subject: Re: Match Reports Watford v Sunderland 15/05/16 and we are s
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:38 am 

Quote:
Sunderland manager Sam Allardyce:

"My idea is to play some younger players on Sunday.

I look forward to that with some pleasure.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:15 pm 

We're doomed!

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:46 pm 

Les Miserable wrote:
We're doomed!

:D

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:05 am 

Isn't it so nice to be able to sprawl on the sofa in a leisurely fashion and enjoy the football, rather than sitting tensely on the edge of your seat and praying for miracles :D

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:31 am 

Pah! Isn't worth listening to today. It is not as though the points matter anymore. :lol:
I might watch the Newcastle v Spurs match and listen to the vitriol whilst watching grown men cry in their XXXL shirts ;) .
No it is really sad to see them down the road go down a division :angel: . I think I said that with a straight face, as the banner will say "Auf Wiedersehn".

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 2:39 pm 

Sunderland: Pickford, Yedlin, T Robson, O’Shea (c), Kone, Larsson, Rodwell, Lens, Watmore Greenwood, N’Doye.

Subs: Mannone, Jones, Brown, Defoe, M’Vila, Honeyman, Khazri.

Nine changes!

We're doomed!

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:54 pm 

Is it me who's slowed down or is this match being played at an incredible pace? Seems so fast.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 5:23 pm 

Not a terrible result and at least looked as though we continue to be competitive. Only lost 1 of the last 11 - decent mid-table form :)

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:10 am 

Not a bad result and we did still try our best, only to be hampered by some dodgy decision from Friend who clearly isn't our friend!

Was impressed with the young lads. They coped really well and played some good football. They left me feeling optimistic about the future.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:46 am 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36240332

The BBC summary. Normally, I copy and paste, but the video of Sam etc, makes it worth going to the BBC website and viewing.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:07 pm 

Dear Band of Brothers & Sisters,

There were a few decisions that didn’t go our way today.

The fans came down and they sang all the way through and were entertained; they got to see some of our younger players, who I think stood up to the test today and played very well indeed.

We created a huge amount of chances and we got in front twice. The killer for us was Duncan [Watmore]’s goal – that would have made it 2-0 and I think it should have been allowed, however it wasn’t to be.

Eleven games, one defeat; no defeats in the last six games and 12 points from those games.

Watford played a full strength side and we only had a couple of players that have been involved in our last seven games.

What we’ve seen today stands us in good stead for the future.

We have to make sure we go into next season, build on this and don’t start the way we have done the last few years. We need a good start and to look much better, that’s what we need to concentrate on.

For now, that was a brilliant send-off for the fans, we matched Watford in every department and what we saw was very pleasing, they could enjoy their day.

Thanks for your support,

Sam Allardyce

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:04 pm 

John O'Shea reminded us why we were in the relegation zone. He was all at sea from a corner yet again. I suppose he was unlucky with the penalty in some ways so I can't be to harsh on him on that one. We'll need a better CB than O'Shea added to the squad. Kaboul is prone to injuries.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:13 am 

legendz wrote:
John O'Shea reminded us why we were in the relegation zone. He was all at sea from a corner yet again. I suppose he was unlucky with the penalty in some ways so I can't be to harsh on him on that one. We'll need a better CB than O'Shea added to the squad. Kaboul is prone to injuries.

I wish I had read this thread first Legendz, as I have just paraphrased this on the Summer Transfers thread. - I didn't steal it honest!

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]