It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Match Reports: Chelsea v Sunderland Sun 21/5/17 15:00
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:07 pm 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39912027

TEAM NEWS

Chelsea captain Gary Cahill and top scorer Diego Costa are among the players likely to be recalled after Antonio Conte made nine changes for Monday's win over Watford.

John Terry could made his 717th appearance for the Blues in his last game at Stamford Bridge as a player.

Relegated Sunderland face being without up to 11 injured players.

Defender Lamine Kone and midfielder Didier Ndong are the latest fitness doubts because of dead legs.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Jonathan Pearce: "It's party time for Chelsea but a Sunderland wake. Two clubs hurtling in opposite directions.

"I'm convinced Antonio Conte will stay to empower a decent Champions League campaign.

"He deserves the Manager of the Year title for reinvigorating the club, bringing the best out of players who had sagged under Jose Mourinho, reinvented others and buying successfully.

"Diego Costa will probably be sold, £100m or more of new signings brought in and Conte will succeed again.

"Sunderland's future looks gloomy. Jordan Pickford and Jermain Defoe will surely go. There's not enough quality or character in the squad to come straight back up for fans who deserve far better."

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Chelsea head coach Antonio Conte on the extent of John Terry's involvement on Sunday: "John is a champion and he deserves the best.

"He's a legend for this club and in this season he has been very important to win this title.

"For this reason I think I have to take my time and to make the best decision for him."

Sunderland manager David Moyes: "We've had a tough year but we'll dust ourselves down, get ready to go again.

"Sunderland will carry big expectations and they could arguably be the biggest club in the Championship next year.

"I think we have a core here and we need to keep those players. We need to find a way of adding players who have quality."

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Whatever team Antonio Conte picks, I don't think Sunderland will be able to stop the Blues from finishing their title-winning campaign on a high note.

Prediction: 3-0

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• Chelsea have won 20 of their last 24 Premier League games against Sunderland, although two of their three losses have come in the last six meetings.
  • This fixture has produced 112 goals in 31 Premier League meetings, an average of 3.6 per game.

Chelsea

• Antonio Conte's side are vying for a 15th Premier League home win in 16 attempts.
  • They are attempting to become the first English side to register 30 top-flight victories in a 38-game season.
  • The Blues have earned 80 points from a possible 93 since the back-to-back league defeats by Liverpool and Arsenal in September.
  • Chelsea are the division's leading scorers with 80 goals. They have only once scored more in a Premier League season: 103 goals in 2009-10.
  • This will be John Terry's final match at Stamford Bridge as a Chelsea player. He has made 716 appearances for the club.
Sunderland

• The Black Cats have lost 10 of their last 13 matches, winning just once and failing to score in 11 of them.
  • They will finish bottom of the Premier League for the third time, a competition joint-record with Nottingham Forest.
  • Sunderland have failed to score in 20 Premier League matches this season, more than any other side.
  • Their only victory in 15 attempts on the final day of a Premier League season came against West Ham in 2011 (D3, L11).
  • This will be David Moyes' 499th game as a manager in the Premier League. He has won 196 games and lost 167.

SAM's verdict

Most probable score: 2-0 Probability of draw: 12%
Probability of home win: 83% Probability of away win: 5%

SAM (Sports Analytics Machine) is a super-computer created by @ProfIanMcHale at the University of Salford that is used to predict the outcome of football matches.

Post subject: Re: Match Reports: Chelsea v Sunderland Sun 21/5/17 15:00
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:28 pm 

We've got every chance of taking three points from this one lads!

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:18 am 

Les Miserable wrote:
We've got every chance of taking three points from this one lads!

Do you think that Chelsea are quaking in their boots yet?

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:08 pm 

https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/2017/may/team-news-v-chelsea

Sunderland will be without 11 senior players when they travel to Stamford Bridge on Sunday, David Moyes has revealed.

Paddy McNair, Duncan Watmore, Jan Kirchhoff, Steven Pienaar, George Honeyman, Wahbi Khazri, Jason Denayer, Victor Anichebe and Papy Djilobodji all missed the midweek trip to the Emirates Stadium.

And they’ve been joined in the treatment room by Lamine Kone and Didier Ndong.

“I will approach this game the same was as I approached Arsenal; we want to win and put in a good performance,” said Moyes.

“The big problem is there are 11 senior players out injured for this game meaning I’m nearly back to the worst time of the season.”

He continued: “Kone, Denayer, Papi, Kirchhoff, Honeyman, Khazri, Ndong, Pienaar, McNair, Watmore and Anichebe [are out], so I think it’s about 11 that won’t feature due to injury.

“We’ll have to try and put a bit of a patched-up team out to make sure we get a positive performance, like it was against Arsenal for lots of reasons.

“We didn’t get the result but we were obviously playing a team who are at a higher level than us.”

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:19 pm 

The team.

Sunderland

13 Pickford
2 Jones
16 O'Shea
15 Lescott
21 Manquillo
7 Larsson
6 Cattermole
8 Rodwell
3 Oviedo
4 4Januzaj
9 Borini

Substitutes

1 Mannone
22 Love
24 Gibson
29 Asoro
35 Maja
40 Embleton
46 Gooch

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:19 pm 

I can't remember a season where I've cared less about the final day. 15pts; 19pts... whatever. Look at the team we put out today and tell me that is a manager who has any part of a clue as to what is going to make this club great again.

And they agree to the Terry f*cking debacle.

Alonso was in our team three years ago FFS.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:19 pm 

We could have bought Alonso for £5M. As he lifted the trophy today, I wonder if he regrets not signing for us :lol:

It was a bit of a meh match. Couldn't believe it when we were winning after two minutes but it was a very short lived happiness! Glad to see the back of the season and really hope we can sort things out one way or another over the summer break.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:33 am 

John Terry and Chelsea epitomise the absolute farce that 1st division football has become. Corrupt owner, multi-million pound squad and absolutely no connection with the fans.
Call me bitter if you like ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:24 am 

Dear Mr Bitter,

I don't think we deserved [the game] to finish in the fashion it did.

For long periods the players did their best to hang in there. Chelsea are top for a reason and we tried to make the gap between the two teams as small as possible.

Players came in and acquitted themselves well. Joleon Lescott did fine in his first game, against a top team.

We had some of the young lads with us and it's good for them to see what the top level is like.

If they can take something from it, it's to look at the size of the top players, their ability and how they play.

We've had a difficult week with Arsenal and now Chelsea – two difficult games.

It's been painful at times. We are gutted about the season, but now we have to get over it quickly and get ready to go again.

David Moyes

P.S.You did say to call you bitter :D

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:26 am 

Les Miserable wrote:
I can't remember a season where I've cared less about the final day. 15pts; 19pts... whatever. Look at the team we put out today and tell me that is a manager who has any part of a clue as to what is going to make this club great again.

And they agree to the Terry f*cking debacle.

Alonso was in our team three years ago FFS.

I so agree with Sheep Farmer.

Les
In defence of DM, he did have to go to the barrel and spend some time scraping before he found enough fit players.
The rest I agree with.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:57 am 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39912027

As this is all about Chelsea, I am not copying it here. If you want to read what a superb season Chelsea have had, please follow the link. There is a small piece on how bad we were at the end.

However here are the line ups.

Chelsea

13 Courtois
28 Azpilicueta
30 David Luiz
26 Terry Substituted for Cahill at 28'minutes
15 Moses
4 Fàbregas
7 Kanté
3 Alonso
22 Willian
10 Hazard Substituted for Pedro at 71'minutes
19 Diego Costa Booked at 38mins Substituted for Batshuayi at 62'minutes

Substitutes

1 Begovic
5 Zouma
11 Pedro
21 Matic
23 Batshuayi
24 Cahill
29 Chalobah

Sunderland

13 Pickford
2 Jones Booked at 48 mins
16 O'Shea
15 Lescott
21 Manquillo
7 Larsson
6 Cattermole Substituted for Gibson at 88'minutes
8 Rodwell
3 Oviedo
44 Januzaj Substituted for Gooch at 62'minutes
9 Borini

Substitutes

1 Mannone
22 Love
24 Gibson
29 Asoro
35 Maja
40 Embleton
46 Gooch

Referee:
Neil Swarbrick
Attendance:

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:06 am 

http://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2017/5/22/15673498/monday-moyes-rating-daves-decisions-v-chelsea-post-match-comments-epitomise-awful-season

from Roker Report

Monday Moyes: Rating Dave's decisions v Chelsea - Post-match comments epitomise awful season

Team Selection: Pitiful

I genuinely felt sorry for Moyesy today after twelve players became unavailable for what was always going to be an incredibly difficult trip down to London. A back three of Billy Jones, John O’Shea and Joleon Lescott were essentially taught a lesson in football despite holding Chelsea to a solitary goal in the opening hour of the game.

As soon as Chelsea bagged their second though, there was nothing Moyes could do about the incoming rout, unless he fancied throwing Donald Love in at the deep end in an effort at plugging the leak in the dam with his finer?

The question simply must be asked though: how many of that dirty dozen are genuinely injured, and unable to play? I’d be willing to bet money that there are certainly a few who just didn’t fancy a hammering, and have their bags packed already, and that is nothing short of a disgrace.

Tom’s Verdict: A dozen players missing from a match-day squad of eighteen - pathetic isn’t it? Then again, are the players totally to blame, or are more than a few simply sick of dour old Dave?

Tactics: Ha!

We’ve struggled to put a coherent plan together all season, so to expect us to play with a particular style and identity on the last day of the season, with a entire starting line-up out injured, against the league’s best team is a bit of a stretch.

Our back three had a combined age of one-hundred, so what did we really expect to do?

Tom’s Verdict: What were we going to do? The answer: nowt.

Substitutions: Protecting the young’uns?

Moyes didn’t ultilise any youngsters on the bench other than Lynden Gooch while Darron Gibson was given a two minute cameo at the end of the game.

I’m disappointed the likes of Asoro or indeed Maja weren’t allowed out onto the pitch just to soak in the atmosphere, but then again after receiving a five-goal thrashing of their own last week then perhaps Moyes was right in wrapping them up in cotton wool.

I honestly cannot wait to see the back of so many of these simply awful players. I understand the Championship isn’t going to be all sunshine and rainbows, but anything must be better than this. Six wins all season, and an average of less then ten per season in our ten year spell in the top flight - grim.

Tom’s Verdict: What was the point in Gibson’s cameo, though?

Post-Match Comments: Sake...

Quote:
I think John Terry, in his own way, deserves a great send off. He got that today.

We knew it was coming, and we agreed to put the ball out. It was Diego Costa that actually asked Jordan to kick the ball out. We actually did it about 15 seconds too early, but we knew it was happening.

I don’t know what it was about the 26th minute substitution of John Terry that irked me, but Sunderland’s participation in the whole farcical display was really irritating.

Perhaps it was the fact that yesterday marked Sunderland’s 26th defeat of the season that got to me? Why did we think this was a decent thing to do? I can’t wrap my head around it because to me that’s just a total lack of self-respect, and epitomises why we are in the position in which we find ourselves.

He went on to note that:

Quote:
I’m gutted we’ve been relegated, and really disappointed with the way the season’s gone. But what do you do? Football has winners and people who lose. Chelsea are winners today, and I hope at some point in the future we’re involved in something similar.

Again, I might be overreacting, but come on - “what do you do?” Well not losing 26 games would be a great start, and not pausing the game in the 26th minute to allow an opposition player to be applauded off the field would also be much appreciated. I would have loved it if Chelsea had put the ball out only for the Lads to play on and bag a goal - at least then we might have looked like we had some fight and guile left in us.

Bleurgh.

Anyway, the Scot has talks with Ellis today, so who knows what’s going on behind the scenes? I constantly get the feeling that this bunch of clowns couldn’t organise a piss up in a brewery never mind stabilising this swiftly sinking ship.

Tom’s Verdict: - Jesus wept, man, what has football become?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]