It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: Match Reports: Sunderland v Nottm Forest Tue 12/09/17 19:45
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:18 am 

Two things I hope for.

1. We have a performance that we can be pleased with.

2. The crowd stop acting like militant NUFC fans, hired to disrupt us and make us look even sillier than we are.

Post subject: Re: Match Reports: Sunderland v Nottm Forest Tue 12/09/17 19
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:22 am 

https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2017/9/11/16284420/grayson-needs-to-get-sunderland-back-to-basics-quickly-starting-with-this-formation-vs-forest

Grayson needs to get Sunderland back to basics quickly, starting with this formation vs Forest
Sunderland were a mess on Saturday - all over the shop. Simon Grayson needs to get his side back to basics and quick with a straightforward 4-2-3-1 against Nottingham Forest tomorrow night.

With no one who was inside the Stadium of Light on Saturday - most notably the players in a red-and-white shirt - entirely sure what system Simon Grayson was aiming for in defeat to Sheffield United, the Sunderland boss simply has to get his side back to basics - and quick - to avoid another morale-sapping showing against Nottingham Forest tomorrow night.

Three at the back should be the basis for an optimum way in which to organise this current crop of Black Cats players but with key personnel to form it missing at the weekend, it just didn’t work out. That coupled with the limited footballing intelligence which has dogged Sunderland sides for several years exposed the risk of experimenting, so a hasty backtrack to 4-2-3-1 will have to be the basis of the line-up on Tuesday.

Without time to perfect any tweaks to the system employed against the Blades, Simon Grayson will also have to whisk three key players back into the side and quick. Bryan Oviedo, Lee Cattermole and dare we say it, Billy Jones, will simply have to be selected in order to ensure Sunderland put in a performance.

Oviedo should be raring to go after a couple of extra days rest to recover from his stint on international duty in Central America. Grayson has already said Cattermole should be fit to start on Tuesday and let’s face it - Billy Jones may be limited but he offers balance on the right if nothing else; and balance was a feature sorely lacking on Saturday.

It looks like Lamine Kone might be ruled out which forces the Sunderland manager’s hand a little in dropping his three centre-back system for this one too.

The Black Cats need Aiden McGeady back urgently but a hamstring injury doesn’t tend to clear up within 48 hours. Simon Grayson will likely drop Callum McManaman in and switch George Honeyman back to midfield.

There is a case for handing Lynden Gooch a start but with the shake-it-up to be kept to a minimum, that may be a step too far. Because this is a game Sunderland need to win to silence those doubters who now outweigh the believers amongst the home support after a poor sequence of results and performances.

And frankly, after a few underwhelming showings from Robbin Ruiter, there is a case to be built for returning Jason Steele back into goal. It’s beginning to look like Sunderland have signed two mediocre goalkeepers here with a combined transfer fee of £500,000 looking to be about all their worth for the pair.

Switching to one up front also means James Vaughan drops back to the bench which truthfully looks to be the best place for him until he can find his touch.

After advocating a system employing a back-three ourselves last week and then watching it crash and burn, we’ll go with this then and trust Simon Grayson to heed our advice once more.

What do you reckon? If you were Simon Grayson, would you persevere with three at the back or revert to a flat back four?

There is an actual poll on the web site - follow the link

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:26 am 

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/sunderland-boss-assesses-injuries-ahead-of-nottingham-forest-clash-1-8746792

Sunderland boss assesses injuries ahead of Nottingham Forest clash

Lee Cattermole missed Sunderland’s 2-1 defeat to Sheffield United with a groin injury, Simon Grayson has confirmed.

Winger Aiden McGeady, who injured his hamstring on international duty, also missed the game along with Bryan Oviedo who had been away on international duty.

Lamine Kone started the game and was named as captain but he went off at half-time with a groin injury.

Grayson said: “Lee tweaked his groin Thursday so we decided it was safer to leave him out because if he started it might have ruled him out for three or four weeks.

“McGeady was the same, Oviedo had flown from one side of the world to the North East so we missed them three players that would have all started in the team.

“It is part and parcel of football. Lamine Kone came off injured with a groin injury.

“These things are going against us but I’m not using them as an excuse.”

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:43 pm 

http://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/sunderland-must-brave-face-nottingham-456581
from the Nottingham Post

Sunderland must be 'brave' as they face Nottingham Forest fighting to end terrible home run says Simon Grayson

Sunderland have not won at the Stadium of Light since December 2016 and, following defeat at the hands of Sheffield United, Simon Grayson admits they have a confidence issue on home soil

Simon Grayson has challenged his Sunderland players to be ‘brave’ when they face Nottingham Forest looking to end their dreadful run of home form.

The Black Cats have not won at the Stadium of Light in 2017, with their last success coming against Watford in December 2016.

Sunderland suffered a 2-1 defeat at the hands of newly promoted Sheffield United on Saturday, with the majority of the 30,000 crowd having left the stadium long before Jack Rodwell scored an injury time goal for the home side.

Grayson admits his side do have a confidence issue on home turf, but says that is different to being fearful of playing in front of their own fans.
Sunderland manager Simon Grayson

But, nevertheless, he is urging them to show their character when they face Mark Warburton’s Reds tomorrow night.

“I will give them (fans) an honest opinion on a daily basis. If people speak to me, I’ll tell them how I think it is,” he said. “I’m not going to hide behind the fact of saying everything’s all right, I do understand that frustration from the fans.

“It’s not just this year, it goes back a long way and we have to do whatever is required to get over that obstacle that’s in the way of this group of players and the supporters as well.

“I’ll say ‘give us a chance’ and they have done,” he added. “They’re entitled to their opinion, I don’t think it’s a situation where players are quaking in their boots. Ultimately they’ve got to make sure they don’t let supporters see that they’re affected by the negativity.

“They have to show they can be brave, and earn their money.”
Grayson made Lamine Kone Sunderland’s captain on Saturday, which was a surprise in some quarters – but the armband is likely to have to move on again against Forest, with Kone having gone off with an injury at half time.

“I haven’t had time to assess [Kone’s injury]. He was probably the most experienced player out on the pitch in the group,” said Grayson.

“I like centre-halves or midfielder to have it, players who can see the whole situation.

“He’s been there and done it. They all should be captains, even when you’ve not got the armband, you make sure you lead by example as well.”

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:08 pm 

Hakuna Matata wrote:
Two things I hope for.

1. We have a performance that we can be pleased with.

2. The crowd stop acting like militant NUFC fans, hired to disrupt us and make us look even sillier than we are.

I'll try HM but Mrs SF won't be there so I might get carried away :oops:

PS Echo your sentiments as usual

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:14 am 

Don't feel confident and not looking forward to going :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:57 am 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41156274

Sunderland boss Simon Grayson has injury concerns after Saturday's 2-1 defeat by Sheffield United, notably after defender Lamine Kone limped off.

Aiden McGeady, Lee Cattermole and Bryan Oviedo could return after missing the Blades game through injury.

Forest will be unable to call on former Black Cats midfielder David Vaughan who has a groin problem.

Goalkeeper Stephen Henderson could press Jordan Smith after his return from a long-term Achilles injury.

SAM's prediction

Home win 48% Draw 27% Away win 25% - well we will see.

SAM, the Sports Analytics Machine, is a super-computer built by @ProfIanMcHale of the University of Liverpool.

Match facts
  • Sunderland have won their last four meetings against Forest in all competitions - though this is their first encounter since August 2008.
  • Forest have never won a league game at the Stadium of Light in three attempts (D1 L2) - their last away win at Sunderland came at Roker Park in November 1993, with a Stan Collymore brace helping them to a 3-2 win.
  • The Black Cats are winless in 13 league games at the Stadium of Light (D5 L8) - their second-longest winless home run in their league history (18 in 2005-06).
  • Nottingham Forest have lost eight of their last 10 away Championship matches on a Tuesday (D2) since a 1-0 win at Birmingham in September 2015.
  • No Championship player has had a hand in more goals than Barrie McKay this season (five; two goals, three assists).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:53 pm 

Tonights teams:
Sunderland: Ruiter, Oviedo, Cattermole, Williams, Grabban, McManaman, Ndong, Browning, Matthews, Honeyman, Wilson
Subs: Steele, Jones, Rodwell, Vaughan, Love, Gibson, Gooch

Nottingham Forest: Smith, Mills, Traore, Bridcutt, Murphy, Osborn, Brereton, Dowell, Darikwa, Bouchalakis, Worral
Subs: Henderson, Lichaj, McKay, Clough, Fox, Carayol, Cummings

https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/201 ... ham-forest

Glad to see Catts and Oviedo back for us. Bit worried to see Bridcutt and Daryl Murphy coming back to (possibly) haunt us.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:29 pm 

Tufty wrote:
Bit worried to see Bridcutt and Daryl Murphy coming back to (possibly) haunt us.

:oops: . Hush my mouth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:01 am 

That was a better performance. Glad we dropped Kone and Galloway. Thought we looked more settled and we created more chances. They kept their confidence this match and didn't fall apart which has been a problem.

Absolutely gutted when the goal went in. It was a stupid mistake to make and we were heavily punished for it.

How frustrating was all the balls pinging in the box from corners and free kicks at the end? So many chances but nothing came of it :(

Was properly cheesed when I left last night.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:18 am 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41156274

Daryl Murphy's late goal gave Nottingham Forest a fourth win in seven league games and piled more pressure on Sunderland boss Simon Grayson.

The Black Cats created the better openings in a game of few chances.

But Forest stood firm in defence to inflict a fourth defeat in seven league matches on their hosts.

Summer signing Murphy grabbed his fourth goal of the season, firing the ball into the bottom corner after Sunderland gave the ball away cheaply.

The hosts created the better chances throughout, with the lively Lewis Grabban and Callum McManaman their main threat.

Grabban, who was later taken off injured, fired one long-range effort over while Forest centre-back Matt Mills twice made decisive blocks from McManaman and George Honeyman before the break.

Both sides struggled to create much after the interval, but Forest began to threaten in the closing stages.

Substitute Jason Cummings had a shot blocked, Tendayi Darikwa saw an effort saved by Robin Ruiter and Barrie McKay also went close after Murphy's strike, which ended a run of back-to-back league defeats for the Reds.

Sunderland boss Simon Grayson:

"It's probably the most frustrating result we've had because we didn't deserve to lose that game, without a shadow of a doubt.

"I thought the players responded from Saturday and showed a lot of bravery with and without the ball, which we asked them to do.

"They responded in a confident manner from the weekend's result, and it's a big kick in the teeth when you lose a game like that because we didn't deserve that. It happened though."

Nottingham Forest manager Mark Warburton:

"It was a very good win for us. There's no doubt that both teams were on the back of a bad result, and I thought both teams played with a bit of fear.

"We thought Sunderland would come out hard and fast, and they did, but we dealt with that. We had to defend our goal with a passion, and then we were gradually able to play a bit more ourselves.

"We had to work very hard, and credit to the lads for doing that. We defended our goal with a real desire and sometimes you have to do the ugly side of the game well before you can play."

Sunderland

25 Ruiter
21 Matthews
18 Browning
36 Wilson
3 Oviedo
6 Cattermole Booked at 48 mins Substituted for Jones at 90+2'minutes
17 Ndong
13 McManaman Substituted for Gooch at 71 'minutes
7 Williams
26 Honeyman
11 Grabban Substituted for Vaughan at 37'minutes

Substitutes

1 Steele
2 Jones
8 Rodwell
9 Vaughan
22 Love
24 Gibson
27 Gooch

Nottm Forest

43 Smith
27 Darikwa
42 Worrall
5 Mills
6 Traore
7 Bridcutt
31 Bouchalakis Substituted for McKay at 63'minutes
17 Brereton Substituted for Cummings at 79'minutes Booked at 90mins
20 Dowell Substituted for Clough at 69'minutes
11 Osborn
9 Murphy

Substitutes

2 Lichaj
10 McKay
13 Fox
16 Clough
18 Carayol
30 Henderson
35 Cummings

Referee:
Simon Hooper

Attendance:
26,061 - a memory from the dark days of Roker Park, half closed and falling apart.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:25 am 

So, from reports, it was a much better performance.

It still seems that we need a GOAL SCORER. Jermain come back - we love you.

Sheepy and Becs calm in the crowd, so all's well with the world. 8-)

Tufty. Be careful what you say. The fairy in charge of football folk is listening. :?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:39 am 

Don't know if it was a better performance as it was my first match this season but couldn't accuse the players of not trying.

Very impressed with Oviedo, Williams, Catts and Macmanaman(until he tired later on). Browning started nervously but grew into the game and was playing well before his aberration - he was clearly gutted afterwards. Also thought Matthews improved over the 90 mins and ended in command of his flank.

Crowd appeared to have an average age of about 70 (at least the ones I saw but Becs would bring it down quite a bit!) so there were none of the histrionics of Saturday just a general depression after what now seems inevitable defeat and I personally felt sorry for the players who'd really put a shift in.

Not despondent about the future as we have some good players and a bit of luck will see us on the way I'm sure. KTF :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:00 am 

Sheep farmer wrote:
Don't know if it was a better performance as it was my first match this season but couldn't accuse the players of not trying.

Very impressed with Oviedo, Williams, Catts and Macmanaman(until he tired later on). Browning started nervously but grew into the game and was playing well before his aberration - he was clearly gutted afterwards. Also thought Matthews improved over the 90 mins and ended in command of his flank.

Crowd appeared to have an average age of about 70 (at least the ones I saw but Becs would bring it down quite a bit!) so there were none of the histrionics of Saturday just a general depression after what now seems inevitable defeat and I personally felt sorry for the players who'd really put a shift in.

Not despondent about the future as we have some good players and a bit of luck will see us on the way I'm sure. KTF :)

Good news.

Grayson needs time to wipe out the dross from the past. I hope he gets it. Not much hope for any heroics this season, but success would be building a decent base platform for us to build on for next season.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:48 pm 

More on the game

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/phil-smith-analysis-sunderland-found-a-way-to-lose-against-forest-1-8750455

Simon Grayson insisted Sunderland were not in crisis before this fourth defeat and while these are still early days in a long season, it is impossible not to be alarmed at the way the Black Cats managed to lose this one.

Nottingham Forest did not win it.

The visitors would have been satisfied with a point, showing little attacking intent throughout and barely testing Robbin Ruiter in the Sunderland goal.

Their winner was gifted to them, a stray pass at a crucial moment sending the Black Cats back to square one.

For the opening 70 minutes it had been tepid, but promising to a small degree.

Sunderland reapplied the basics that had so badly deserted them in the previous two defeats.

Attacking midfielders and wingers were tracking back and snuffing out counter attacks.

They defended crosses and high balls well, and most importantly of all showed a willingness to keep the ball and move it quicker.

Jonny Williams and Callum McManaman embodied a side that looked better balanced and more threatening.

Still, the cutting edge was lacking and the last 20 minutes underlined why there is such angst in the fan base.

With Aiden McGeady still missing and Lewis Grabban replaced in the first half due to injury, the Black Cats offered nothing.

If the sparse Stadium of Light said much about what has gone before, there was at least an atmosphere of sorts, a response to an improved performance and some gentle promise, led by the excellent Williams, his first touch and low centre of gravity causing problems for Forest and excitement for the fans.

The last 20 minutes, however, were painfully flat and that reflected a Black Cats side that had seemingly run of invention and ideas.

Grayson was left with little to change, his bench again looking one-dimensional and certainly not the sort that could change the momentum and direction of a game.

It is of great concern that injuries to a striker and a winger can leave the squad so short.

Sunderland will be punished for their failure to land a third striker, particularly if Lewis Grabban’s injury proves to be a serious one.

As the game dwindled towards a conclusion, it looked like it would be one point from games against Sheffueld United and Nottingham Forest.

A dismal return but at least here an application of the basics to build from.

To lose the game was both baffling and at the same time painfully predictable. Former Black Cat Daryl Murphy celebrated his goal and why not? From nowhere, his side were gifted three vital points.

This was still an improvement, even if consolation is hardly welcome at this point. Marc Wilson was excellent in defence, Bryan Oviedo a welcome addition at left-back, tightening a position that has caused the Black Cats all manner of problems earlier in the season.

Already, however, the gap to the play-off positions is seven points and the inability to find the crucial moment of quality, particularly at home, offers no assurances that it will be reduced any time soon.

The Black Cats tried everything to end their home hoodoo. A change of formation, four changes to the starting line-up. They even broke 20 years of tradition by warming up in front of the South Stand.

On occasions it looked like it way pay dividends, but there were still no stretches of sustained pressure, no siege on the Forest goal.

Too many familiar problems, still to be overcome and with time slowly ticking away.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:42 pm 

Just realised the 2nd CB was Wilson. Spent all match thinking it was JOS and wondering why he'd grown a beard :oops: :oops: :oops: . The bloke sitting next to me must have thought I was a right dipstick. TBF he did have a habit of punting the ball long if no easy passing option was available so it was a reasonable mistake to make - or not!!!

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ]