It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 21 posts ] 
 Post subject: Match Reports: Middlesbrough v Who knows Sun 05/11/17 12:15
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:47 am 

Middlesbrough will have an almost fully fit squad available for the visit of managerless Sunderland in Sunday's Tees-Wear derby.

Fabio da Silva suffered an ankle knock in Tuesday's win at Hull but should be fit to take on the Black Cats.

Sunderland caretakers Billy McKinlay and Robbie Stockdale will look to end a 13-game run without a league win.

The pair have taken temporary charge of the Wearsiders after Simon Grayson was sacked by the club on Tuesday.

Defender Tyias Browning will be missing for the visitors as he continues to recover from a hamstring injury while Paddy McNair could make a first start since November 2016.

SAM's prediction
Home win 60% Draw 23% Away win 17%

SAM, the Sports Analytics Machine, is a super-computer built by @ProfIanMcHale of the University of Liverpool.

Match facts

• Middlesbrough have beaten local rivals Sunderland in each of their last three matches in all competitions, last winning four in a row in February 2003.
  • The Black Cats have won two of their last 24 away league visits to Middlesbrough (D8 L14).
  • Britt Assombalonga has scored in each of his last five Championship appearances in November, netting six goals.
  • Sunderland, with just 10 points from their opening 15 matches, have made the worst start of any side in the second tier who were relegated from the Premier League the previous season.
  • The last second tier side relegated from the top-flight the previous season to win only one of their first 15 games were Swansea City in 1983-84; the Swans were relegated at the end of that season.
  • Garry Monk has never lost back to back home Championship matches as a manager; Monk has followed up six defeats with three wins and three draws.

Post subject: Re: Match Reports: Middlesbrough v Who knows Sun 05/11/17 12
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:01 am 

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/it-could-be-any-score-line-the-expected-middlesbrough-xi-v-sunderland-this-weekend/

Middlesbrough Perspective

‘It could be any score-line’ – The expected Middlesbrough XI v Sunderland this weekend

There’s another derby this weekend in the Championship as Middlesbrough host Sunderland at the Riverside Stadium.

We’ve seen a whole host of derby games in recent weeks with the Second City Derby the most recent one and so we’ll be looking for the Tees-Wear derby to produce the goods. Sunderland, though, might be sitting ducks with them well out of form and struggling with Simon Grayson sacked earlier this week.

Middlesbrough, meanwhile, are stirring again and are on a decent run of form so it could be any score-line come kick-off on Sunday afternoon. Boro, though, need to be professional and we’re expecting Garry Monk to go with the big guns as he looks to go into the international break on a high.

With that in mind, then, here is the XI we’re expecting to go out on the pitch in the red shirts of Middlesbrough:

There’s been a lot of chopping and changing under Garry Monk this season but recent results suggest he is beginning to find a winning formula.

With that in mind, we’re looking at a potential Boro team that is unchanged from the game against Hull City. The one issue might be Fabio at left-back, but he is expected to be fine after the minor knock he picked up against the Tigers.

Otherwise, it’s a very strong team, confident and in form and we’d expect Boro to take the three points.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:13 am 

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/middlesbrough-fc-sunderland-riverside-relegation-13850734

Another Middlesbrough take on things. Follow the Link to read it, but here is the last few lines from it.

Since then Boro have recovered some of their poise and started to find some shape and form.

Since then Sunderland have picked up 13 points from 30 games ,and in Robbie Stockdale, will be on their third manager.

What could possibly go wrong?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:18 am 

http://salutsunderland.com/2017/11/the-first-time-ever-i-saw-your-ground-middlesbrough-ayresome-park-and-the-riverside/

The usual from Salut; a fan view of the opposition.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:24 pm 

I was right wasn't I?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:13 am 

Les Miserable wrote:
I was right wasn't I?

:silent:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:41 am 

https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2017/11/4/16602050/is-this-the-sunderland-team-that-will-start-on-sunday-against-boro-in-the-tees-wear-derby

Roker Report: Is this the team to start on Sunday?

Goalkeeper: Robbin Ruiter

One of Simon Grayson’s last acts as Sunderland manager was to put Robbin Ruiter back in the team in place of Jason Steele, a decision that wasn’t entirely vindicated as the Dutchman turned out an underwhelming performance against Bolton on Tuesday.

That said, not many of the players on the pitch that night did themselves justice and Ruiter, under a new manager, deserves a chance to prove that he’s the best goalkeeper we have.

There’s a bit of romance there with Jason Steele, considering his connections to Middlesbrough and the fact he came up through their academy and subsequently their first team, but I’d rather Robbie Stockdale avoided making yet another change between the sticks if possible.

Left Back: Bryan Oviedo

It seems to be going rather unnoticed, but I strongly believe that Bryan Oviedo has been our most consistent outfield player so far this season. He retains his spot, with on-loan Everton defender Brendan Galloway settling for a place outside of the matchday squad yet again.

Centre Back: John O’Shea

Though I’d much rather we didn’t have to constantly revert to using John O’Shea, particularly over a stretch of games, I have absolutely zero faith in any other defender and I suspect that the same might apply to Robbie Stockdale’s thinking. O’Shea will keep his place and will lead the team out on Sunday.

Centre Back: Marc Wilson

Wilson came through his first 90 minutes for over a month against Bolton on Tuesday and will be looking for another start on Sunday. The summer signing failed to stamp his presence on the Black Cats defence as another three whistled past the Sunderland back-line but with Tyias Browning still out, it’s either him or Lamine Kone.

Right Back: Adam Matthews

Adam Matthews isn’t perfect but he’s the best of a bad bunch at present, and with him in the team, he offers balance down the right hand side. Finding him a partner on that flank is now key, as is ensuring we don’t keep swapping him out of the side in place of the hapless Billy Jones.
Livingston v Sunderland - Pre Season Friendly Photo by Mark Runnacles/Getty Images

Central Midfield: Lee Cattermole

It’s a derby, against his old team. If Lee Cattermole can’t muster up the type of performance that earned him a reputation as a tough tackling, high-energy midfielder in this fixture then it really is the end of his once ferocious repute.

Central Midfield: Didier Ndong

The first name on the team sheet - Ndong has featured in over 90% of the minutes Sunderland have played in the Championship so far this season.

Central Attacking Midfield: Paddy McNair

With two sub-twenty minute appearances under his belt since returning from injury, McNair capped Tuesday with the goal which saved Sunderland’s blushes. After returning to the international fold, the Northern Irish midfielder will be chomping at the bit to start against Boro with the first World Cup Qualifier play-off game taking place on Thursday.

Left Midfield: Aiden McGeady

McGeady will hold the key to Sunderland getting a result - as has been so often the case already this season.

Right Midfield: Duncan Watmore

Still lacking end product on occasion, Watmore played the last half-hour on Tuesday and should benefit from the break as he continues to regain fitness.

Striker: Lewis Grabban

Eight goals now for a striker for whom Simon Grayson wasn’t able to play to his strengths - it’s been good going for Grabban since his loan move from Bournemouth. Hopefully Stockdale and McKinlay will find a way of improving the service to him beyond punted long balls.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:58 am 

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/32819/11111675/sunderland-players-are-the-problem-says-don-goodman

A decent piece by Don Goodman from Sky Sports.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:54 pm 

Is that THE Don Goodman?

Edit: Should have read it 1st :oops: :oops: :oops:

Article made a lot of sense

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:05 am 

Yesterday's results make getting something from today even more important. Have to concentrate on a clean sheet with anything else a bonus.

Boro defence nothing special - particularly if Ayala plays - but forwards will be a handful. All we need is for our players to play to their potential!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:18 am 

Sheep farmer wrote:
Yesterday's results make getting something from today even more important. Have to concentrate on a clean sheet with anything else a bonus.

Boro defence nothing special - particularly if Ayala plays - but forwards will be a handful. All we need is for our players to play to their potential!

All we need is for our players to play to their potential!

All? 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:21 am 

https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/2017/november/match-preview-boro-v-sunderland

The Club's preview

Robbie Stockdale and Billy McKinlay will take charge of their first match in charge of Sunderland this weekend at the Riverside.

Ahead of Sunday’s short trip to Middlesbrough, here’s your all you need to know guide…

TEMPORARY CHARGE

Tuesday evening’s draw to Bolton Wanderers at the Stadium of Light signalled the end of Simon Grayson’s time at the club. The 47-year-old parted company after the full-time whistle of Sunderland’s 3-3 draw with Bolton Wanderers, leaving first-team coach Stockdale and McKinlay to lead the lead the team on Teesside this weekend. Stockdale, a former Middlesbrough player, joined Sunderland as an academy after a successful spell with Grimsby Town’s youth team. Stockdale swiftly became the under-23s boss before Sam Allardyce’s arrival at manager in October 2015 saw him promoted to the first-team scene. McKinlay, meanwhile, has previous managerial experience, albeit brief, at Watford. Born in Glasgow, McKinlay was a scout at the club but was promoted to be Simon Grayson’s assistant when Glynn Snodin fell ill in September.

BORO BOYS

Sunday’s hosts, Middlesbrough, head into this Tees-Wear derby looking to build on their back-to-back victories on the road. Six points over Reading and Hull City have moved Boro into the top half, with Britt Assombalonga hot among the goals. With two goals in as many games, the summer recruit from Nottingham Forest has scored eight in 15 league appearances for Boro, meaning he heads into Sunday’s clash level with Sunderland’s leading marksman Lewis Grabban. The 29-year-old is in a rich vein of form himself, scoring three goals in two games to improve his record of eight in just 11 outings.

KNOWING ME KNOW YOU

Stockton-born midfield general Lee Cattermole will be hopeful of clocking some minutes for Sunderland against his former club Middlesbrough. Catts burst onto the Teesside scene when he was just 17, making his debut at St James’ Park. A spell at Wigan was then followed by a switch to Sunderland, where the midfielder has gone on to play over 200 times - a similar feat achieved by Fencehouses-born midfielder Grant Leadbitter at Boro. A product of Sunderland’s academy, Leadbitter has made over 200 appearances for the Teessiders and he will certainly be eyeing a goal this weekend as he has struck twice over the last week.

TEAM NEWS

James Vaughan has been added to the list of absentees for Sunderland’s trip to Middlesbrough this weekend by interim boss Robbie Stockdale. The 29-year-old joins fellow striker Josh Maja and on loan central defender Tyias Browning in the treatment room.

TRAVEL INFORMATION

Supporters travelling with the free coaches provided by the club are asked to retain their passes to and from the Riverside. Any supporters without passes will not be permitted to travel. Concourse facilities, offering food and drink to purchase (including alcohol), will be open in the east stand of the Stadium of Light from 9am on Sunday morning. The coaches will begin boarding from the GREEN car park, outside the ticket office, at 9.45am and will depart for Middlesbrough promptly at 10.15am.

FOLLOW THE ACTION

Sunderland fans have snapped up their allocation for Middlesbrough tickets.

If you weren’t able to get a ticket, then there will be comprehensive coverage of all the action as it happens across our digital channels.

Nick Barnes and Gary Bennett will be in the commentary booth from 11.30am, with minute-by-minute analysis available right here and across social media from Twitter to Instagram.

STADIUM OF LIGHT BEAMBACK

There will be a special screening of the game shown in Quinn’s Sports Bar at the Stadium of Light.

Entry is free for all supporters and doors will open at 10am, with a Sunday carvery and a range of snacks available to purchase.

There will also be a host of early entry drinks promotions.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:24 am 

https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/2017/november/stockdale-match-preview-boro

Stockdale's stock tale

Robbie Stockdale couldn’t have wished for a better game this Sunday, admitting victory can act as a catalyst to kick-start Sunderland’s season.

The Black Cats head to Middlesbrough this weekend as they begin life without Simon Grayson after he parted company with the club on Tuesday evening.

First-team coach Stockdale and Billy McKinlay will lead the lads on Sunday at the Riverside, kick-off 12.15pm, and while Sunderland have won just one of their 15 Sky Bet Championship games this season Stockdale believes if there was ever a fixture to change their season then this is it.

“I am not really interested in going over things that have happened in the past,” he said.

“All we can affect is the future and Sunday is important. We want to win the game, we have been in situations in the last month where we should’ve won games.

“Never mind draw or lose we should’ve won them. It is a start and a base to not to lose but how do we win it, how do we affect it, how do we break Middlesbrough down?

“(If we win on Sunday) it could act as a catalyst. I don’t think you could chose a better game for us to have.

“The players shouldn’t need much motivation for it and if you could choose a game it is the one I would choose.”

He continued: “We should have more points than we have. That’s not to say our performances have been great but I believe we have certainly thrown away points.

“I don’t see a lack of effort from the players, but I do see a lack of confidence and quality which I am asking them to produce on Sunday.”

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:27 am 

https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/2017/november/stockdale-on-fans

Written by the PR Office in Stockdale's hand writing.

Robbie Stockdale has admitted he has been taken back by the dedication Sunderland’s supporters have shown throughout his time at the club.

The former under-23s boss was promoted to the first-team scene when Sam Allardyce was appointed as the club’s new manager in October 2015.

Having spent the last two seasons as first-team coach, Sunday will see Stockdale lead the Black Cats alongside joint caretaker boss Billy McKinlay as the pair look to kick start Sunderland’s season at the Riverside.

And speaking at his pre-match press conference, Stockdale revealed just how proud he is to lead the Black Cats in front of yet another sold out away end.

“All clubs have difficult stages and difficult times, but I reiterate that the fans throughout my time being at the football club have probably been the best thing about it.

“They turn out for the away games and home games has been quite astonishing to me.

“It is difficult at the minute and we all recognise that but at the same time we need to feed off them and give them something back.

“And I can’t think of a better way to do that then by getting a positive result on Sunday.”

He continued: “I have been at the club for a while now and been involved with the senior team for a number of years and it amazes me the number of fans we take to games.

“It amazes me the vocal support we get, it is quite staggering that they come out in the numbers that they do.

“Of course, they aren’t happy with how things are going, rest assured none of us are but if there was ever a game to get us back on track then this is it and I couldn’t have asked for a better game.”

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:37 am 

https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/2017/november/boro-press-conference

Robbie Stockdale interview.

Makes me slightly more hopeful to be honest.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:41 am 

https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/2017/november/team-news-v-boro

James Vaughan is a doubt for Sunday’s match at the Riverside, caretaker boss Robbie Stockdale has revealed. (he says in his interview {above} that he is definitely out)

The striker has been a prominent feature so far this season in the Sky Bet Championship, and came off the bench at half-time in Tuesday’s 3-3 draw against Bolton Wanderers when he replaced midfielder Jonny Williams.

However, it looks as though the 29-year-old will miss Sunday’s Tees-Wear clash having picked up a knock, and will instead join Josh Maja and Ty Browning in the treatment room.

"James Vaughan will be missing, he struggled in the back end of Tuesday’s game," he said.

"Josh Maja is still recovering which is a shame because Josh was showing a lot of promise in pre-season. He would have been in and around our senior team without a doubt.

"Ty is well on his way to recovery but is not ready to play yet.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:34 pm 

Well; say it as you see it.
I watched most of the match on Sky Sports.
Suddenly, we seem to have an organised football team.
Despite the result, I was impressed.
I just hope that I am not impressed in the 1st division next year.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:44 pm 

Didn't create anything going forward and let them get the ball too easily.

Lack of communication is still a big issue and lack of awareness of where other players are. Too many times we get the ball and nobody else runs into space for it.

Disappointing afternoon as Boro are not that good and on another day, could have been beaten.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:37 pm 

Missed 1st half as trying to avoid divorce by doing some gardening!

Looked OK ish ! Unlucky with injuries but felt we wasted a substitution by bringing on Honeyman rather than Williams/MacManaman when NDong went down.
Not apparently worse than Boro but the game turned on the 4mins from 3rd to 7th. Didn't really create a lot in spite of possession in 2nd half.

Can't believe we can't get a win other than we're cursed (and, of course, doomed)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:23 pm 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41792795

Middlesbrough climbed to fifth in the Championship with victory over managerless Sunderland, who remain rooted to the bottom of the table.

Teenager Marcus Tavernier tucked in his first league goal from close range early on to give Boro victory.

Sunderland, who sacked boss Simon Grayson on Tuesday, created chances.

But home keeper Darren Randolph produced a fine double save to keep out Didier Ndong and Lewis Grabban, and denied Lee Cattermole.

Boro, who made it four straight Tees-Wear derby wins for the first time since February 2003, had other openings too, with Britt Assombalonga, Martin Braithwaite and Stewart Downing all forcing saves out of Sunderland goalkeeper Robbin Ruiter.

However, 18-year-old Tavernier's neat finish from Braithwaite's cross on his full home league debut was enough to secure a third successive league win for Boro and extend Sunderland's winless run to 14 games.

That goal came moments after Randolph's superb reaction stop to deny Grabban after he could only push away Ndong's 25-yard drive, while Aiden McGeady twice fired off target for the visitors.

The Black Cats, who slipped to the foot of the table after Bolton beat Norwich on Saturday, have made the worst start of any side in the second tier who were relegated from the Premier League the previous season, taking just 10 points from their opening 16 games.

That record prompted American owner and chairman Ellis Short to admit on Friday that the club have "a bit of a crisis to solve right now", with Sunderland expected to replace caretakers Billy McKinlay and Robbie Stockdale with an experienced manager before the home game with Millwall on 18 November.

Middlesbrough boss Garry Monk told BBC Tees:

"Derbies aren't the prettiest games a lot of the time but the main thing is you win.

"The biggest moment of quality in the game was our goal, with the build-up and its execution, and if anything deserved to win the game, that bit of quality did.

"Marcus Tavernier will get stronger with time and experience but we've been delighted with him. He's deserved his chance and he's done very well, and today is a memory that will live with him forever."

Sunderland joint-caretaker manager Robbie Stockdale told BBC Newcastle:

"At some point this season we've got to make the big moments count in our favour and too many times this season we haven't done that.

"The keeper has made a fantastic save [from Grabban] and it could be a different game.

"I thought the shape of the team was good and I thought at time we looked a real threat, but the big moments have to be better from us."

Middlesbrough

25 Randolph
22 Christie Booked at 63mins
4 Ayala
6 Gibson
3 Friend
7 Leadbitter Substituted for Forshaw at 85'minutes
16 Howson
19 Downing
10 Braithwaite
62 Tavernier Substituted for Johnson at 64'minutes
9 Assombalonga Substituted for Fletcher at 81'minutes

Substitutes

1 Konstantopoulos
2 Fabio
5 Shotton
18 Fletcher
21 Johnson
34 Forshaw
37 Traoré

Sunderland

25 Ruiter
2 Jones Booked at 17 mins Substituted for Matthews at 27'minutes
16 O'Shea
36 Wilson Booked at 75mins
3 Oviedo
17 Ndong Substituted for Honeyman at 55'minutes
24 Gibson
6 Cattermole Booked at 44mins
19 McGeady Booked at 60mins
4 McNair Substituted for Williams at 77'minutes
11 Grabban

Substitutes

1 Steele
7 Williams
8 Rodwell
13 McManaman
21 Matthews
26 Honeyman
27 Gooch

Referee:
Jeremy Simpson
Attendance:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:34 pm 

All from http://www.SAFC.com

https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/2017/november/boro-a/stockdale-post-boro

Robbie Stockdale interview

https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/2017/november/boro-a/oshea-post-boro

John O'Shea disappointed. Interview

https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/2017/november/boro-a/report-v-boro

Match Report.

Sunderland were defeated on Teesside thanks to Marcus Tavernier's first league goal as their wait for a win goes on.

Tavernier tucked home a cross at the near post in the sixth minute and that was enough to settle the contest – marking the first time Sunderland have failed to score away from home in the league since August.

Lewis Grabban had earlier had a great chance to put the visitors ahead only to be denied by Darren Randolph, while his counterpart Robbin Ruiter saved brilliantly from Martin Braithwaite in the second half to keep the arrears to a single goal.

Review all the action from the Riverside Stadium...

CATTS BACK

Caretaker managers Robbie Stockdale and Billy McKinlay made three changes, with Lee Cattermole and Billy Jones recalled at the expense of Adam Matthews and Jonny Williams, while Paddy McNair made his first start in nearly a year after impressing – and scoring – as a substitute against Bolton. Callum McManaman dropped to the bench, while Duncan Watmore and Lamine Kone missed out entirely.

EARLY GOAL

The visitors had a great chance to take the lead after just three minutes, but failed to make the hosts pay. Didier Ndong's shot was pushed out by Randolph straight into the path of Lewis Grabban, but the keeper recovered to somehow turn the follow-up behind for a corner.

It was a key save as the hosts took the lead soon afterwards. Stewart Downing's deft reverse pass caught the Sunderland defence out, and Braithwaite's resulting cross was tucked in by Tavernier at the near post.

Definitely not the start Sunderland wanted.

However, the away side were keen to shoot from range, as Randolph was struggling with the low autumn sun shining directly into his eyes. Nevertheless, the Boro stopper managed to tip away an effort from Cattermole and brilliantly get a piece of a Jones header, though the offside flag was up anyway.

LITTLE TO CHOOSE

Both Cattermole and Ndong were impressing in the Sunderland midfield as the visitors moved the ball well, though a potent Boro attack were proving a threat with the hosts supplying them quickly and often. However, there was precious little for the home side to show, barring a wayward shot from Grant Leadbitter over the top.

At the other end, a muted penalty appeal against Britt Assombalonga was turned away – the striker had his arms down by his sides – while Aiden McGeady brushed the top of the net with a fierce effort after stepping away from a challenge 18 yards out. Assombalonga claimed the final chance of the half, testing Ruiter down low with a snapshot from just outside the box.

INJURY BLOW

Stockdale and McKinlay were forced into a second change just 10 minutes into the second half as Ndong, who had been doing well in midfield, hurt his knee and was replaced by George Honeyman. The pair would have seen their side further behind soon afterwards only for Ruiter to come to the rescue – the Dutchman getting his hand to a Braithwaite shot from point-blank range, diverting the ball into the air before catching the rebound cleanly. Ruiter came to the rescue again with a fine stop from a Stewart Downing free-kick as Boro took a firm grip on the game.

NO WAY BACK

A late Sunderland rally didn't materialise in the end, despite the introduction of Williams off the bench in place of the tiring McNair. A McGeady shot into the side-netting was the closest the visitors came as a disappointing afternoon ended in defeat.

Sunderland: Ruiter, Jones (Matthews, 26), Oviedo, O'Shea (c), Wilson, Cattermole, Gibson, Ndong (Honeyman, 54), McNair (Williams, 77), McGeady, Grabban.

Subs not used: Rodwell, McManaman, Gooch, Steele.

Middlesbrough:
Randolph, Christie, Friend, Ayala, Gibson, Leadbitter (c) (Forshaw, 85), Howson, Tavernier (Johnson, 63), Downing, Assombalonga (Fletcher, 81), Braithwaite.

Subs not used: Fabio, Shotton, Traore, Dimi.

Attendance: 29,277 (2,458 away)

Page 1 of 1 [ 21 posts ]