The usual "First time ever I saw your team - from Salut

Post subject: Re: Match Reports: Sunderland v Reading Sat 02/12/17 15:00
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:34 am 

Dare to dream?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:08 am 

Sheep farmer wrote:
Dare to dream?

This is the most hopeful I have been in about 25 months.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:03 pm 

You two have my sympathies. ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:03 pm 

Les Miserable wrote:

Cheers Les.

It has to turn sometime. I just hope it's in my lifetime.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:05 pm 

https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/2017/november/view-from-the-opp-v-reading

Reading manager Jaap Stam is wary of the threat posed by Sunderland following Chris Coleman’s arrival.

The Black Cats returned to winning ways last weekend as Burton Albion were beaten 2-0 at the Pirelli Stadium, with optimism on the rise ahead of the Welshman’s first game at the Stadium of Light.

Confidence is also growing at Reading, though, with Stam’s side unbeaten in three while picking up a comfortable 3-0 win over Barnsley on Tuesday.

And speaking to the Royals’ official website, the Dutchman cast his eye over Coleman’s impact so far.

“Chris Coleman is a very experienced manager,” said Stam. “He did very well with Wales and he’s trying to find his way with Sunderland as well now to go higher up the table.

“We’re aware of what the manager can do but we’re also aware of what their team and players can do.”

He continued: “We need to be sharp and fresh, that is very important on Saturday for us to get a good result.

“I’ve seen them play already, they play a bit differently to how the previous manager did over there.

“Sunderland like to play out from the back now as well, play a bit more possession from what we’ve seen against Burton.

"We're always looking at details and talking about details of what we need to do better.

“We always want to create a lot of chances, we want to dominate more.”

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:06 pm 

https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/2017/november/mcmanaman-on-reading

McManaman previews Reading clash - Video

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:15 pm 

Hakuna Matata wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:

Cheers Les.

People's life expectancy is increasing year on year...

And then there's cryogenics

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:05 pm 

Les Miserable wrote:
Hakuna Matata wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:

Cheers Les.

Unfreeze me when SAFC is successful, will that work? ;)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:29 pm 

Tufty wrote:

Unfreeze me when SAFC is successful, will that work? ;)

You would be there until the world ends.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:32 pm 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42119765

Sunderland manager Chris Coleman will be without suspended striker James Vaughan for the visit of Reading.

Midfielders Lamine Kone, Didier Ndong and Duncan Watmore (all knee), Billy Jones (foot) and Jonny Williams (shoulder) all remain sidelined.

Reading midfielder John Swift (hamstring) is in contention to return to the squad after a recent spell out.

Strikers Yann Kermorgant and Jon Dadi Bodvarsson have both been carefully managed on their returns from injury.

Coleman will take charge of a Sunderland home game for the first time after starting his reign with away fixtures at Aston Villa and Burton.

Reading manager Jaap Stam told BBC Radio Berkshire:

"The players were disappointed after the win against Barnsley on Tuesday, not because of the result, but the performance in terms of what we can achieve.

"The players are still very confident in what we can do and that's included after defeats.

"Sunderland play under a different style now with Chris Coleman as manager, it looks like he's trying to get them to play more football.

"It's going to be interesting what we come up against as I know Chris has watched us play a lot of times when he was Wales manager."

SAM's prediction

Home win 47% Draw 27% Away win 26%

SAM, the Sports Analytics Machine, is a super-computer built by @ProfIanMcHale of the University of Liverpool.

Match facts

• Sunderland have won four of their past five home games against Reading (L1), though this is their first meeting at the Stadium of Light since December 2012 in the Premier League.
  • Reading's last visit to the Stadium of Light outside of the Premier League came in April 2005, coming from a goal down to win 2-1 with a brace from Dave Kitson.
  • Callum McManaman has scored in three of his past four league starts against Reading, scoring three goals.
  • Reading have scored the same amount of goals in their past two away league games as they did in their first seven on the road this season (6).
  • Chris Coleman has faced Reading five times previously, losing four of those games and drawing the other - his last home meeting came in October 2009, losing 3-1 as Coventry boss to a Reading side managed by Brendan Rodgers.
  • The Royals have kept clean sheets in back to back league games - they haven't kept three in a row since November 2016.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:53 am 

https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/2017/november/match-preview-v-reading?eid=143480&_ccCt=VSvlxoqIlQXAodugwWet1y3C3JGqPqnytPGJoleHr_5EuH9kLJ2X%7efiT7_m8SBx5

Sunderland are back in town this weekend following a two-week stint on the road, with Chris Coleman set to take charge of his first game at the Stadium of Light.

Reading are this weekend’s visitors and it’s set to be an interesting match-up as the Black Cats and the Royals vie for back-to-back wins.

THE COLEMAN EFFECT

Chris Coleman’s arrival on Wearside has provided a massive lift for everyone heading into Saturday’s game, not least because the Welshman guided Sunderland back to winning ways last weekend. An August win over Norwich City at Carrow Road marked the Black Cats’ most-recent league win prior to the trip to Burton Albion, but goals from James Vaughan and George Honeyman saw further optimism build ahead of a return to the Stadium of Light. There were signs of improvement in the 2-1 defeat at Villa Park and Coleman’s stamp on the side was even more evident at the Pirelli Stadium, with a long-awaited home win next on the agenda.

ROYALS ON THE MARCH

Play-off finalists last season, Reading have endured a tougher start to the season than many anticipated under Jaap Stam, with the Dutchman’s side currently 16th in the Sky Bet Championship. But November marked an upturn in form for the Royals, with Stam’s side winning two of their five games while losing on just one occasion. They put four past Derby County to start the month and three past Barnsley last time out, while also keeping back-to-back clean sheets against the Tykes and Sheffield Wednesday, with nine points separating the Royals and the top six heading into a pivotal month of second-tier action.

FAMILIAR FACES

Saturday’s match-up will see a number of players come up against their former employers. Lewis Grabban, who has been firing on all cylinders since moving to Wearside, was on loan at the Madjeski Stadium last season when he scored three goals in 16 appearances. Speculation has been swirling that AFC Bournemouth will recall the striker in January, and while Coleman confirmed the Cherries could do so he stated there has been no contact to date from the south-coast club. Grabban started last season’s play-off final for the Royals and he was team-mates with former Black Cat and Reading defender Paul McShane, with Vito Mannone also making his SoL return following a summer switch.

TEAM NEWS

Coleman will once again be without a host of key players as the medical team remain busy heading into the festive period. Lamine Kone and Billy Jones remain sidelined and long-term absentees Duncan Watmore and Jonny Williams are also unavailable, with Didier Ndong continuing to nurse a knee injury. Vaughan, who came off the bench to score at Burton, will miss out through suspension but Marc Wilson could feature after returning to training earlier this week. Josh Maja could also play a part but Coleman stated he won’t rush the youngster and any minutes will come from the bench. Reading, meanwhile, will be able to call upon John Swift following a hamstring injury, with Yann Kermorgant and Jon Dadi Bodvarsson also available.

FOLLOW ALL THE ACTION

Cash turnstiles are in operation and information is available by clicking here.

But if you’re unable to attend the game we have comprehensive coverage of all the action as it happens across our digital channels.

Nick Barnes and Gary Bennett will be in the commentary booth from 2pm, with minute-by-minute analysis available right here and across social media from Twitter to Instagram.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:55 am 

https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/2017/november/managers-preview-v-reading?eid=143480&_ccCt=k_qK0VOe8mbAodugwWet1y3C3JGqPqnytPGJoleHr_5EuH9kLJ2X%7efiT7_m8SBx5

Manager's preview:
'The fans deserve everything I've got...'

Chris Coleman simply can’t wait to take charge of his first game at the Stadium of Light.

The Sunderland manager will take charge of his first home game tomorrow when Reading travel to Wearside and both sides strive for back-to-back wins in the Sky Bet Championship.

Last weekend Coleman’s passionate rallying of the red and white army captured the imagination, but the Welshman was firm in his stance that ‘that’s done now’ and was quick to turn his focus to Saturday’s SoL showdown.

And speaking ahead of the game, Coleman admitted he will do everything in his power to bring the good times back to Wearside.

“The fans have given me an incredible welcome and although I haven’t got any promises for anyone, I’m totally committed to Sunderland and I’m ecstatic to here,” said the Black Cats boss.

“Whatever I’ve got I’ll give to them and that’s it – I can’t give any more than that – but I’ll make sure they get everything out of me, and if they’re happy I’m here it’s not half as happy as I am.”

He continued: "There’s nothing to be afraid of or shy away from and I think there’s everything to look forward to.

“I know the task is huge but it’s an exciting one for me and I want to do well for Sunderland and everyone associated with the club, and all they deserve is everything I’ve got.

“I belong to them [the fans] now and we’re all in this together.”

Coleman also shunned excuses regarding the Black Cats’ failure to win at home in 20 attempts, while stating both he and the players won’t dwell on what they can’t change.

“There’s no excuses. It’s an unwanted record and it’s one that can only be changed by us, so there’s nothing we can do about the past and it’s pointless looking into it.

“You can hang onto it if you want but it won’t do you any good and it’s all about the future.”

He added: “It’s there and we can’t rip it up, but we can look forward and the quicker we do that, the unwanted burden and pressure will come off our shoulders.”

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:01 pm 

https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/2017/november/coleman-challenges-academy-duo?eid=143480&_ccCt=DY0V3PrQ7XYAodugwWet1y3C3JGqPqnytPGJoleHr_5EuH9kLJ2X%7efiT7_m8SBx5

Injection of youth:
Asoro and Maja shaking it up

Joel Asoro and Josh Maja are having an infectious impact at first-team level and it’s paving the way for further youngsters to step up and be counted, according to Chris Coleman.

The duo have been on fans’ radars for years with their impressive performances catching the eye at under-18 and under-23 level, but despite the hype both forwards are just 18.

That hasn’t stopped them mixing it with the big boys, though, with Maja taking pre-season by storm before a knee injury cruelly cut short his involvement, as Asoro quietly went about is business before exploding back onto the scene under Coleman.

The Sweden under-21 international impressed during a brief cameo at Villa Park before providing a blistering assist at Burton Albion in Sunderland’s first Sky Bet Championship win since August.

And Coleman has urged the duo to continue to ramp under the pressure on their first-team counterparts.

“Young Joel Asoro has done very, very well and he’s looked exciting,” said the Sunderland boss.

“It’s a bit different for Maja because he’s coming back from injury, but from what I’ve seen from him he looks promising and some of the other ones are also staking a claim.”

He added: “That’s good because it pushes the other players that have been here for a while because what you don’t want, and what you can’t have, is comfort.

“Comfort is death in sport, in football, so you need to look at who wants to be in that comfort zone and eradicate them and keep them away from the people who want to progress, work hard and be accountable.

“Hopefully they all want to buy into it and I hope that’s the case because they’ll all get the chance, but maybe one or two don’t and if that happens it’s up to us that they’re removed and we bring in the type of characters this football club deserves.

“It’s as simple as that.”

Both Asoro and Maja will be hoping to feature when Sunderland entertain Reading on Saturday, with the latter hoping to get back on track after a spell on the sidelines.

“Of course,” said Coleman when asked if James Vaughan’s suspension could lead to Maja’s return or hand a further opportunity to the Swede.

“They’re young – very young – but they’ve got promise and they’ve got potential, and they’ve also got all this excitement because they’ve not been professional footballers for too long and they’re not seasoned pros.”

He continued: “With that, you get a little vibe from them when you include them and I always do that because it’s nice to inject something different.

“Sometimes you get these bright-eyed young boys and it lifts everything, but you have to be careful and you can’t overcook it and allow them to be too overexposed.”

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:57 pm 

In the opposition goal today will be Vito Mannone who wants to play despite his mother being seriously ill. Here the Echo look at some of his best moments as a Sunderland player.
https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/fo ... -1-8888681
Thinking of you and your mam Vito. All the best but no clean sheet today mate.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:27 pm 

Yes, best wishes to Vito and especially to his mother. Let us all hope for the very best for her.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:32 pm 

Hakuna Matata wrote:
Yes, best wishes to Vito and especially to his mother. Let us all hope for the very best for her.

Gave us some great moments. Hope his future is great after 5pm today.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:51 am 

From thinking we're one up to being a man down in the space of a few seconds. How quickly the dream became a nightmare

We're cursed - and seemingly, according to the soothsayer, doomed :( :( :(

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:37 am 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42119765

New Sunderland boss Chris Coleman's first home game in charge ended in defeat as Reading scored three second-half goals at the Stadium of Light.

The Black Cats have now gone almost a year without winning on Wearside after the hosts' 10 men paid for Callum McManaman's first-half red card.

Dave Edwards, Coleman's old Wales player, put Reading ahead before Modou Barrow struck twice in three minutes.

Top scorer Lewis Grabban got a late consolation from the penalty spot.

That was his 11th goal of the season after Joel Asoro won a penalty with 14 minutes remaining, but the damage had already been done as Jaap Stam's Royals made it one defeat from their last seven matches, to climb to 14th, 10 points clear of trouble.

Coleman had already been hampered by the pre-match loss of Paddy McNair, who had to be withdrawn from the starting line-up after injuring himself beforehand, meaning a call for Darron Gibson as a late replacement.

And his side then had to play the whole second half with 10 men following McManaman's 43rd-minute sending off for a second bookable offence - for handball, following his early foul on Barrow.

The visitors took eight second-half minutes to cash in before Edwards, who had shot over in the first half when it looked easier to score, slid in to finish from close range after Sone Aluko's effort on the counter had deflected into his path.

Barrow then added number two, volleying inside goalkeeper Robbin Ruiter's near post, before adding a second with a cool finish following a flick from Yann Kermorgant.

Swedish teenager Asoro's late introduction fired Sunderland late on, and won their penalty - but the Black Cats, who slip back a place to 23rd, have now gone 21 games without a home win.

Sunderland manager Chris Coleman:

"It was always going to be tough today. Our record here is not great and we were against a team that plays possession-based football.

"Then we got a man sent off, everyone was flat, doom and gloom, then Reading bossed it for long periods.

"It is a huge disappointment for us because we are flat again. I can see the frustration here, you can't blame everybody for being frustrated.

"This week it's being kicked back down into the gutter and we have to deal with that."

Reading boss Jaap Stam:

"In the end it was comfortable. When you come here, against a new manager in his first home game, you can expect a team that is aggressive.

"I think we started very well, created opportunities and scored three goals.

"Sometimes we were a bit sloppy, invited pressure a bit. Overall how we have played we have had a very good performance away from home."

Line-ups

Sunderland

25 Ruiter
21 Matthews
18 Browning
16 O'Shea
3 Oviedo Booked at 43 mins Substituted for Galloway at 58'minutes
6 Cattermole Booked at 35 mins Substituted for Gooch at 80'minutes
24 Gibson
13 McManaman Booked at 45mins
26 Honeyman
19 McGeady Substituted for Asoro at 68'minutes
11 Grabban

Substitutes

1 Steele
15 Galloway
20 Maja
22 Love
27 Gooch
29 Asoro
36 Wilson

Reading

1 Mannone
19 Bacuna
5 McShane Booked at 16mins
6 Moore
2 Gunter
4 van den Berg
16 Edwards
14 Aluko Booked at 43 mins Substituted for Beerens at 81'minutes
38 Kelly Substituted for Clement at 81'minutes
17 Barrow
18 Kermorgant Substituted for Bödvarsson at 90+3'minutes

Substitutes

7 Beerens
2 0Ilori
22 Clement
23 Bödvarsson
24 Blackett
25 Popa
31 Jaakkola

Referee:
Keith Stroud
Attendance:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:42 am 

https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/2017/december/reading/report-v-reading

Sunderland 3-1 Reading

Chris Coleman’s first game at the Stadium of Light ended in defeat as 10-men Sunderland fell to Reading.

A red card before the interval was pivotal as the Royals took full advantage following the restart, with Lewis Grabban netting a late consolation from the spot.

Review all the action below.

LATE CHANGE

Chris Coleman named an unchanged side ahead of the game as he kept the faith with the same XI that defeated Burton Albion one week ago, but an injury to Paddy McNair in the warm-ups saw Darron Gibson replace the Northern Irishman as Brendan Galloway moved up to the bench. Despite the blow, Sunderland were handed a bench boost ahead of the contest as Marc Wilson and Josh Maja returned to the squad, as former Black Cats Vito Mannone and Paul McShane started at the SoL.

SMART FOOTBALL

A fractious opening soon calmed as Sunderland asserted their control of possession and remained patient in possession. In one of Coleman’s first interviews with the club, the Welshman highlighted the need for ‘smart football’ and declared an obvious but often overlooked fact – the opposition can’t score without the ball – and this was very much evident in the opening 15 minutes. That’s not to say there wasn’t chances, though, with Bryan Oviedo clipping an effort narrowly wide before Callum McManaman and McShane picked up yellow cards for similarly reckless challenges.

AND IT WAS ALL YELLOW

The best opportunity of the opening period arrived on 21 minutes and it fell at David Edwards’ feet, but after timing his run to perfection and meeting Yann Kermorgant’s clever pull-back, the midfield spooned his effort wildly off target. Sunderland responded and McManaman’s cross caused problems before being hacked clear, but as half-time approached the Royals grew in stature as had much more time on the ball. Coleman’s men held firm, though, as a fiery contest saw Lee Cattermole, Sone Aluko and Oviedo all cautioned before the break.

DISMISSED

With five players walking a disciplinary tightrope a red card seemed somewhat inevitable – and it arrived in first-half stoppage time. A scintillating counter saw McManaman bundle the ball home from Adam Matthews’ cross, but celebrations were cut short as the referee’s whistle sounded. The linesman, who didn’t flag until he realised play was stopped, was soon consulted and from that conversation McManaman was cautioned for handball meaning it remained 0-0 as the winger was dismissed. Controversy, indeed.

BACKS TO THE WALL

Reading flew out of the traps following the restart and McShane would have opened the scoring had it not been for his team-mate, Joey van den Berg, who inadvertently blocked the defender’s goalbound header. But the visitors didn’t have to wait long and they simply overran the Black Cats, with Edwards finishing from close range to open the scoring after Aluko’s initial effort was blocked. Oviedo then limped off to add to Sunderland’s injury woes as the onslaught continued, but the game was far from over and George Honeyman showed why as Mannone turned his drilled effort to safety.

GAME OVER

On 68 minutes it was very much game, set and match as the Royals struck again and any hopes of an unlucky point evaporated. Kermorgant was allowed time and space to measure his cross to the back post and Barrow timed his run to perfection, with the unmarked winger volleying straight at Robbin Ruiter who was unable to keep it out. And three minutes later they added a third as Kermorgant once again played architect, Barrow continuing to reap the rewards with a simple finish. Lewis Grabban pulled one back from the spot after terrific work from Asoro who jinxed in and out before testing Mannone and winning the rebound, but it was too little too late.

Attendance: 27,386

Sunderland: Ruiter, Matthews, O’Shea, Browning, Oviedo (Galloway 58), Cattermole (Gooch 80), Gibson, Honeyman, McGeady, McManaman, Grabban.
Subs not used: Steele, Love, Gibson, Maja, Wilson.

Reading: Mannone, Gunter, Van Den Berg, McShane, Moore, Aluko (Beerens 81), Edwards, Barrow, Kermorgant, Bacuna, Kelly (Clement 81).
Subs not used: Jaakkola, Ilori, Bodvarsson, Blackett, Popa.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:03 pm 

"GAME OVER

.... Lewis Grabban pulled one back from the spot after terrific work from Asoro who jinxed in and out before testing Mannone and winning the rebound, but it was too little too late."

That's us - JINXED! ;)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:24 pm 

The worrying thing for me and I have only seen the briefest of highlights, is that the defence seemed to fall apart again.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:26 pm 

https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/2017/december/reading/highlights-v-reading

Longer highlights

and also

https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/2017/december/reading/full-90-sunderland-v-reading-match-replay

The full horror story.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:39 pm 

Yep, I have just watched the extended highlights and despite what may be said about whether the balls should have been allowed into the area so easily, the last line defending was simply pathetic. The Reading attackers were blow torches, our defenders were cellophane.

Horrible.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:37 pm 

Still impossible to see what happened with Macmanaman so how the ref could come to that conclusion defies reason

Page 1 of 1 [ 25 posts ]