It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sheep Farmer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:12 am 

Our first interview is with Sheep Farmer.

1. Please tell us something about your upbringing, school, family background, area you come from.

Born and brought up with two sisters in a small village in lower Wensleydale. Father had a smallholding and mobile butchers business. Mother was an evacuee from Sunderland so I’m a result of WWII !
Grammar School(mixed) educated with a 15 mile each way bus journey – ideal for early fairly innocent experience of the opposite sex. Actually met Mrs SF at school although she, quite literally, travelled on the other bus;-)
Studied Agriculture at Newcastle in the days before it was the source of all things evil

2. Next can you tell us something about your working life, your qualifications if relevant and any funny anecdotes you may have that are connected with your job.

For the last 38 years I’ve been an Agricultural Consultant, with what was once the Milk Marketing Board, covering an area East of the Pennines between York and Berwick. Whilst not particularly amusing, I once ended up having to pull a father & son apart when a disagreement about farm policy escalated to a bout of fisticuffs.

3. Tell us a little about your adult family (wife, kids anything appropriate) and your hobbies.

Having been married 40 years in Dec we have two grown up children and our daughter is married with two boys who will hopefully follow the family tradition re SAFC. Our son lives in the South West. My hobbies were always sport related playing football, golf and cricket which I eventually gave up last year. Mrs SF has an equine inclination which resulted in us buying a smallholding 30 years ago and keeping a small flock of sheep to control the excess grass.

4. Why Sunderland and not any other club?

With mam’s roots and a football mad uncle on her side of the family that was always the result we looked for on Grandstand – my early recollections are of 2nd division status and near misses for promotion. Dad wasn’t into football but his brother was a Boro fan which was the “local” club and he was disappointed that I deserted Yorkshire for Co Durham’s finest

5. Do you have any “second” team or teams and if so who are they and why are you interested in them?

No room for anyone else I’m afraid

6. Any particular game or games that mean more to you than most?

Cup Final 1973 – watched on the bosses big colour TV(still a novelty) then went out and got absolutely paralytic

7. What are your favourite things about SAFC, for example; favourite Sunderland players, managers, things, memories?

Cloughie as player and manager – what a missed opportunity!
Monty, Billy Hughes and Vic Halom from the 70’s. Chris Makin & Jody Craddock from the Reid era with Niall Quinn the standout of all. I only started going to games when we moved to the SOL as I played most Saturdays up till then. Daughter came with me to games and we had some real quality times with one of the best being, strangely, the play-off final. There was something very special about the long, long journey home after that emotional event.
On one occasion I did make it to Roker park with some friends from our village team when a cup tie vs Darlo co-incided with a blank Saturday. They were Darlo fans and we went in the away end. After the match we were held back and having travelled by car the five of us were an obvious target for the locals who chased us most of the way to Sheepfolds- oh the irony!!

8. Are there any other teams, whom you regard as opponents, but have a soft spot for?

Darlo in a sympathy sort of way

9. Any opponent teams that you actively dislike.

The Mags now, though I would happily watch them when at Uni until a 0-0 against Place in 1971 became the most boring afternoon I’ve spent before or since. Also dislike most London clubs with a special slot

10. Who are your all time favourite non SAFC footballers?

Bobby Charlton

11. Who (non SAFC football person) can’t you stand?

Alan Pardew and Jimmy Hill – both self-explanatory

12. How do you see SAFC going, are you optimistic, pessimistic, happy, sad?

Before Tuesday I was optimistic but that was dire! Nevertheless a sound chairman and a manager who knows what he’s doing even if his style lacks flair. The players we brought in in summer are all improvements and if we can find a “Fellaini type” for CM I think we can keep progressing

13. What makes you laugh?

HIGNFY, Mock the Week, Rowan Atkinson and Ken Dodd

14. What makes you sad?

The fact that tomorrow I will have to have my old sheepdog put down – the best dog I’ve ever had (tomorrow is the 2nd Nov 2012 - editor)

15. What really annoys you

In football the way that diving, shirt tugging and play acting have become “acceptable” .
In life the % of my income that is taken in various taxes and wasted by career politicians and bureaucrats plus the Londoncentric media

16. What are your favourite foods, do you prefer to dine in or out?

Steak and Kidney pie with chips and apple crumble with cream to follow. Luckily Mrs SF is an excellent cook so I’m well fed at home or abroad

17. What makes BCC tick for you, how did you find us, what keeps you a member, where does your handle/username come from?

Memory is fading but I think I found it through a reference on RTG. I love the friendly atmosphere it exudes and the polite, curse free posting with not a WUM in sight.
My username came from the aforementioned sheep and my signature was written on the blackboard in one of the labs at Uni and roughly translates as “We’re always in the dung but the depth varies” – fairly apt for an SAFC supporter

18. Anything you want to say, not covered by the above?

I’d say that was enough wouldn’t you??

Thanks Sheep Farmer, that's a brilliant start for us.

Post subject: Re: Sheep Farmer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:04 am 

Nice interview and interesting to read about your farming history 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:49 am 

Becs wrote:
Nice interview and interesting to read about your farming history 8-)

I'll always be grateful to you Becs for providing this warm and comfortable message board :flowers:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:32 pm 

If Askrigg counts as Lower Wensleydale I may have bumped into you eons ago when my school went camping there during Race Week. :)

Good and interesting interview

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:37 pm 

Askrigg is Upper Wensleydale and that's where the Grammar School was sited. You may well have met contempories if aeons ago was in the 60's

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:19 am 

good stuff! An enjoyable read, and helps to remind us that we're all REAL people behind those computer screens ...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:46 pm 

Very good. I like this feature.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:04 am 

Very good post, ---and interesting interview, --cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:52 pm 

I like reading these interviews, thanks

At the end of the storm
Is a golden sky

And that is where we are heading....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:26 pm 

good insight into sheep there mind :thumbup:

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]