It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Becs
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:32 am 

This is a copy of the interview that Becs gave to Royals Rendezvous.

First off, please tell us something about yourself! Like ... what were
your favourite subjects at school? Did you do further studies? What do you
now do for a living/study etc.?
I liked the sciences at school and went into laboratory work but I got stuck in a rut with it. After a career change, I’m now self employed in marketing and love my job as I can juggle my hours around my children. I’ve also managed to gain a BA in Business through the Open University.

Where have you lived through your life? Do you prefer town or countryside?
I’ve lived in the North East all my life. My parents moved to a town called Washington when I was a baby. I spent my childhood there and they still live there. I’ve lived in a rural Durham village for 16 years now. I love the countryside and much prefer the quietness and gorgeous scenery to the hustle and bustle of city life.

How you travelled much? What special memories have you of your travel?
Where did you like most?
I love travelling and experiencing different cultures and customs. I hate it when you see English pubs and fish and chip shops abroad. We went to Cala Santandria in Menorca last year which is a resort that caters for the Spanish. My children share my love of foreign food, and we really enjoyed trying the Spanish dishes.

Why Sunderland and not any other team? Why do you identify with the team?
It’s in my genes! I’m not sure why my great-Grandfather supported Sunderland, but he took my Grandpa when he was a little boy, who the inflicted it on my Dad, who inflicted it on me and now I’ve inflicted it on my children!

What's the best and worst away ground you've visited? Why?!
The old Wembley Stadium was the best. Just for the sheer excitement of going to London, getting the tube and walking up Wembley way and seeing the towers. I went there for the play off final in 1990. Worst was Molineux before it got redeveloped. The terraces were cracked concrete overgrown with weeds and you really don’t want to know the state of the toilets – ewww!

If there was one game in the history of your club you could go back and
see (but didn’t at the time), what would it be?
1973 FA Cup Final. My parents were there and had a fabulous day out as Sunderland were the underdogs and beat Leeds to win the FA Cup. They stayed in London that night and partied hard! If anyone is interested, look on You Tube for a video called “Meanwhile Back in Sunderland”. It really shows the passion of our supporters and you can have a giggle at 70’s fashion!

[edit diab0: of course pleased to help out on this – see the end of the interview everybody!!]

How you ever been in a ‘delicate’ situation (like dangerous) with nasty
opposing fans (inside or outside grounds)?
Against Newcastle in 1993 at Roker Park. I was 17 and was with my 15 year old brother. As we were leaving the ground, they opened the doors and let the Newcastle fans out into the Sunderland fans and a huge fight started. Someone threw a firecracker and a Police horse was spooked and was jumping around. In the confusion, I managed to lose my brother and I was petrified in case something had happened to him. He’d jumped over someone’s garden wall and was hiding in the garden, and a kind lady saw him and took him inside. So while I was being consoled by the Police while they tried to locate him, he was watching final score and having cake and lemonade!

If there is one thing you could change in football, what would it be?
I’d love to bring standing back. With seats, people are more spread out and most arrive in the stadium shortly before kick off. On the terraces at Roker, people turned up an hour or two before the match to secure their spot, and by the time kick off came round the atmosphere was incredibly tense and built up. People were jammed in and it was impossible to get out, and the noise of the Roker Roar was incredible. I’d love to get that raw tribal passion back.

Which other team or teams in the Premier/Championship (or indeed
elsewhere) have you a soft spot for?
I love it when one of the promoted teams come up and rattles one of the big boys. Same in cup competitions when a lower league team knocks out a Premiership team.

Which team or teams do you least like (i.e. heartily dislike!)?
Newcastle of course!

Do you want your lower rivals to get promotions to renew the rivalry or do
you want them to rot away? Which option and why?
I’d like to see Middlesbrough get promoted. The derby atmosphere is always a good one, and there is always friendly banter with fans in their social lives and workplaces.

When it comes to your team - Are you an optimist or a pessimistic?
I swing from one to the other. I thought we’d get beat off West Ham last weekend so was pleased with a point and I’m not too sure about Wigan this weekend, but then I get stars in my eyes and have convinced myself we’ll beat Man City at the Ethiad in October.

Where do you think the team will be in 10 years time?
I’m quietly confident that Ellis Short is doing sterling work behind the scenes. It’s going to be a slow road, but I think we’ll be one of the big boys and be fighting for Europe spots rather than wobbling around mid-table.

Favourite footballer/s of all-time?
I have a lot of respect for Niall Quinn. As well as being good on the pitch, he donated all of his testimonial money to charity and has been involved with local community projects. Following problems with an Easyjet flight back from Bristol, he personally paid for taxi’s to get the stranded supporters back to Sunderland. I’ve met him in person and he’s just a jolly nice bloke!

What makes you laugh?
My 5 year old. She comes out with some hilarious things and she bosses my boys around like she’s their mother.

If there is one thing you could change in your personal life, what would it be?
I’m single. If any hunky sex gods happen to be reading this…… haha!

Where do you want to be in 5 years time?
I’m quite content with my family, job, home etc., so just to be able to keep up the same standard of living would be good.

What hobbies apart from football do you have?
I’m in both English Heritage and National Trust and enjoy days out at their properties with my children, and I enjoy fitness and running. In the summer I did the 5K Yorkshire Spartan obstacle race and ended up elated but very muddy!

Any pets?
2 mad border collies called Bob and Jack. Walking them through the fields and woods around my home is one of the best parts of my day.

Many thanks to you – fabulous interview!!

P.S. Great videos here, suggested by Becs:

MEANWHILE BACK IN SUNDERLAND PART ONE

MEANWHILE BACK IN SUNDERLAND PART TWO

MEANWHILE BACK IN SUNDERLAND PART THREE

MEANWHILE BACK IN SUNDERLAND PART FOUR

Post subject: Re: Becs
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:19 pm 

Ironic that my "delicate" situation with footy fans was with lads from Sunderland

I actually doubt that they were fans or had been to the game, just local "trash" looking for a scrap with an outnumbered group from out of town. Interesting to me was that they seemed to be a large proportion in their early teens with a few twenty somethings.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:06 am 

Another good interview, ---and enjoyed the videos, --cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:47 pm 

A good read, thanks Hak and Becs :)

At the end of the storm
Is a golden sky

And that is where we are heading....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:20 pm 

aye, good read becs :thumbup:

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]