It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Davey B
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:00 pm 

Here's a top interview with one of the newer members of the BCC family.

Enjoy:-

What were your favourite subjects at school? Did you do further studies? What do you now do for a living/study etc.?

I went to Ryhope Infants, Juniors & Comp, all three of my schools sadly, are long since gone. It's like someone is trying to erase my history whilst cruelly leaving me with the memory of it! If you come off the A19 at the 1018 turn off and come down past Seaham into Ryhope, the old School footbridge is still there just after the roundabout for Chery Knowles, that's all that's left from my schools!

My favourite subjects were History, English Language and PE Studies, though for a short while i loved Social Studies, but that was mainly down being a teenager full of hormones and having a gorgeous blonde haired teacher that used to wear skin tight corduroy trousers that left absolutely zero to the imagination. Can't remember her name, can't remember learning anything from those lessons, but i'll never forget her and her cords. If you can picture Homer Simpson drooling and that gurgling sound he makes, well that would be me back then. When she left after a few months and was replaced by a big hairy bloke, my already limited interest in a naff subject dropped to minus zero! Amazingly, still cruised the exam! No idea how, but i did. Must have mistaken someone else's paper for mine!

Describe your working environment and a typical working day!

Currently working on a week to week basis through an agency. Has been this way since i was made redundant two years ago. I'm working as a Warehouseman / Fork Lift Driver in a local pop factory at the moment. Have been there 9-10 weeks, shifts are killers at the minute, 7pm until 7am five nights a week. If i go sick, i don't get paid, if the work runs out, they can send me home with no pay! Weekends are wrecked as my body clock is all over, i don't know how my Amanda is putting up with it to be honest, she's a gem.

Where have you lived through your life?

Born, bred, and brought up in Ryhope, moved to Silksworth just before i got married, been here ever since. Though if the would be buyer didn't drop out at the last minute during my divorce, i'd be living back in Ryhope now!

Do you prefer town or countryside?

Prefer the suburbs to be honest, town is far too busy and hectic, country is far too quiet and peaceful!

Do you have a partner? What do they think about football?!

Yeah, my partner Amanda is half-Welsh and originates from Worcester. An armchair Cardiff City fan, (her family originate there!) though she loves watching the Rugby, and is as passionate about the Welsh Rugby team as any footy fan i know are with their team. She's made me promise to take her to the Sol next year if Cardiff get promoted ...... though she is insisting on sitting with the away fans! I took her to her first ever live game when we played Bolton ages back. We won 3 v 1 iirc, Daryl Murphy scoring and celebrating right in front of us ....... she loved it!

How you travelled much? What special memories have you of your travel? Where did you like most?

I have been to France, Belgium, Holland, Denmark, Portugal, USA and South Africa. France is always just passing through so i can get to Belgium & Holland, always for pigeons! lol

Portugal, i hated with a vengeance. Went for a week, make or break with my ex, bed was a single bed with a skinny mattress that slid out of a drawer making it a double, albeit two different levels. Got a violent bought of food poisoning along with most of the hotel as they don't irrigate the eggs over there, then when i recovered and could actually leave the hotel, we were held in with some of the worst storms i've ever seen. If i believed in a superior being i'd have said he was telling me something!

Denmark was for football, where we won the youth World Cup, playing against the youth teams from some top continental teams. Ex-Wolves manager Sammy Chung was in charge of one team we played!

South Africa was to visit my family over there for three weeks over the Christmas period back in the early seventies. Their winter is hotter than our summer! Barbecue's, or Bries over there are a way of life. Meat, i've never seen steaks as big, and Prawns practically the size of lobsters. Fabulous, if it wasn't for the heat though, blisters on blisters. Went there like a pint of milk, came back like a bar of Galaxy.

USA was my favourite, Disney World in Orlando. I just can't put it into words ...... i would move there tomorrow.

If you could buy a house in another country, where would it be, or wouldn’t you ever consider the possibility?

Yes, USA, Orlando in Florida in particular. Amazing, just fabulous and amazing.

Belgium and Holland for the pigeon racing, Antwerp in particular is a major hotbed of competition.

We've talked about moving down to Worcester if the job situation doesn't pick up soon, with the Malvern Hills looking favourable.

Where would you like to visit in the future (if all went well!)?

I would like to go back to Florida, and would also like in the future to take in the Norwegian Fjords and the Aurora Bolearis, and see some Whales up close too! Would love to visit the Pyramids, Sphinx etc in Egypt, and the Great Wall of China.

Why Sunderland and not any other team? Why do you identify with the team?

They were my local team, and after my first game (which i mentioned elsewhere on here) i was bitten and it's never left, though i've become battle-hardened, institutionalised or accustomed (which ever way you choose to look at it) to our under achieving success-less regularity. This is just the way it is for us, this is Sunderland. Hopefully i'll witness a trophy win for us in the flesh before i die, but given what i've witnessed over the past 30 odd years ...... hope is all I (we) have! HA'WAY THE LADS!

Was it always Sunderland, or as a child did you like any other ‘big’ teams of the day?

Always Sunderland, though i have a soft spot for Aston Villa after my dad let me stay up to watch them play Everton in the League Cup Final when i was younger. I liked their strips, and have always held a regard for them, though the Red n Whites are my first love and always will be.

What's the best and worst away ground you've visited? Why?!

Best Ground - Villa Park & Old Trafford, fantastic stadiums.

Worst Ground - Luton Town's Kenilworth Road. Horrible place, looked like a load of Garden Sheds bolted together. I've seen pigeon lofts made out of old doors that looked better! Watfords Vicarage Road wasn't much cop either.

Do you have a favourite Sunderland match that you saw live? (If so, which was it?!)

Several!

1 V 0 Brian Clough's high flying Nottingham Forest in the League Cup 1985. Howard Gayle with a beauty!

4 V 1 Chelsea, the first half was the best football i've ever seen Sunderland play. I'm convinced we'd have even destroyed Barcelona that day! The lads looked like they had been fed on raw meat for a week.

1 V 0 Arsenal, Niall Quinn header, and what must have been Stan Varga's greatest ever game!

If there was one game in the history of your club you could go back and see (but didn’t at the time), what would it be?

1973 would certainly be up there, but i wish i could go back and see the magnificent team under Johnny Cochrane, and also see Charlie Hurley, Stan Anderson, Brian Clough, Jim Baxter, etc. It would be hard to choose one game, but i'd maybe go for the 1937 Cup Final.

Future - Who would you love to see in a European competition (against a non-English team, that is)?

Real Madrid.

Is there anything you’ve done with football or football matches that you’ve later regretted?

Yes, i regret telling my ex that i was looking forward to taking my beloved nephew to his first ever game, only for her to get some cheap tickets and take him. Hell hath no fury!

How you ever been in a ‘delicate’ situation (like dangerous) with nasty opposing fans (inside or outside grounds)?

Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, Milk Cup Semi Final.

Also, away at Leicester. We lost 2 v 0 iirc to two Gary Lineker goals, and a load of kids charged from their end to the half way line after the final whistle. Then outside, the same kids charged to the end of the street as we were coming out and pelted us with sharpened copper coins. I got hit just above the eye with one, though having thickish eyebrows you can hardly see the scar now!

If there is one thing you could change in football, what would it be?

Diving / Gamesmanship / etc. This boils my p!ss more than anything else, even if it's one of ours doing it. I hate it, it's cheating, and i'd put anyone found guilty of it more than once out of the game altogether if i had my way.

Which other team or teams in the Premier/Championship (or indeed elsewhere) have you a soft spot for?

Aston Villa, Hartlepool, and York City.

Which team or teams do you least like (i.e. heartily dislike!)?

Coventry. Long may their decline into oblivion continue. No, Jimmy Hill, i won't let it go!

Do you want your lower rivals to get promotions to renew the rivalry or do you want them to rot away? Which option and why?

Promotion and rivalry. We aren't going to win the league, and go out of the Cups like we aren't even interested, so derbies are arguably our key games for us fans. Besides, i'd prefer to see all North East teams in the Premier League than a team from anywhere else in the country.

When it comes to your team - Are you an optimist or a pessimistic?

I'm an optimistic pessimist. lol!

Where do you think the team will be in 10 years time?

Where we are at now, give or take a few league positions. It's where we've been for the last 4 decades, absolute mediocrity sandwiched between 1 trophy, a spell in Div. 3, and a short dalliance near the top under Peter Reid. As Bruce Hornsby once sang ..... "That's just the way it is, Some things will never change!" Could use that record for the lads to run out to! lol

Favourite footballer/s of all-time?

Franz Beckenbauer, Pele, Diego Maradonna, Johan Cryuff, George Best, Charlie Hurley, Bobby Moore, Gordon Banks.

Favourite sportsmen/sports ladies (apart from football, that is) of all-time?

Muhammed Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard, Bjorn Borg.

What makes you laugh?

Most humor, but footy fans on the terraces and the away buses come out with some of the funniest things off the cuff, I love it!

Miscellaneous likes?

Racing & Breeding Pigeons. Music, particularly live bands.

Respectful, pleasant, humorous people.

Miscellaneous dislikes?

Arrogant, condescending people.

The Tory Party.

Heights.

The Flu and colds, generally being ill.

What are you afraid of?

Definately HEIGHTS. I suffer badly from Vertigo.

If there is one thing you could change in your personal life, what would it be?

Children. I'd have given anything to have had them. Lost two with my ex whilst she was carrying, 5 and 6 months into pregnancy, was never lucky enough after that. I'd like to think that i'd have been a male version of Becs, i enjoy reading her updates on Facebook and here on what she is doing with the bairns. Just like my Amanda, she just keeps on going relentlessly, she has a heart like a lion imo!

Where do you want to be in 5 years time?

In a decent job, with honest pay for an honest day's work. Not the excessive hours, no overtime pay, minimum type agency wage i'm suffering now just to keep the mortgage going and food on the table.

What are your most memorable moments in your life not following your team?

After the company i was working for was bought out, all the senior management team left, leaving us basically rudderless, without direction, and no leader. My colleague and I tried to keep things going as best we could until the new owners decided exactly what they doing with us. I was the Warehouse Supervisor, and took over the quality management off my own bat, as their was a new standard being implemented, and we had nobody to do it. It took me three months, from scratch, but i got it achieved. ISO 9001-2000. When the BSI Auditor presented me with our Certificate, you'd think i'd won the FA Cup!

Being 3rd top prizewinner in the main North East Organisation with the birds the last time I flew competitively. One of my favourite ever racing seasons!

Scoring against two roughneck centre halfs in the youth World Cup. They had been dishing out some serious stuff in earlier games, and i was put in due to the first choice striker being crocked! I was a RB actually! I didn't even celebrate the goal, but was mobbed by the lads!

Favourite food / favourite drinks (eating in or out)?

Curry, particularly at the Penshaw Tandoori.

Fish n Chips with lashings of Vinegar and a bit Salt.

Drinks would be Diet Coke and John Smiths beer!

At a fantasy dinner party where your desires come true, which three guests would you invite?

Bono, and my Grandad & Grandma who i didn't get anywhere near enough time with.

What hobbies apart from football do you have?

Breeding and Racing Pigeons. I'd be lost without my birds, absolutely lost!

Any pets?

A 10 year old Dalmatian Bitch called Purdey. She thinks she's human though, and argues like a petulant teenager!

A few words to describe your relationship with “The Black Cat Chat” forum – and how did it come about?

Got fed up with the banning's of the more interesting posters, the WUM's, and petulance after every defeat on the SMB. I had read a few pleasant comments about BCC. Done a search, joined up, and here i am!

Do you think that any professional player now currently reads our forum – and who of the present crop would you like to read our forum?!

With the amount of spare time on their hands, i think that some will read the forums. I would think that the majority will remain as lurkers though, due to the new disease of Trolling! Look at how much of it goes on with Twitter! Sad that something as magnificent as the internet attracts the darkest depths of society to use it for such actions.

What are your future hopes for BlackCatChat?

I would like to see it evolve and grow with the same type of quality people we have on here. WUM's and trolling trouble makers kept away. I've seen with my own site that size of membership and amount of posts is not an indicator to the quality of the site. The indicator is what is being posted.

What are your views (be sincere!) on Black Cat Chat?

I sincerely do not feel that there is anything wrong with the site. What's that saying about a book and it's cover! The attractive thing for me about BCC is the quality clientele. It's been commented on numerous times about the friendly atmosphere and the lack of re-active people that frequent this board. The site may be relatively quiet at the minute and currently only have a small membership, but my advice as regards that is to just keep doing what you are doing, word of mouth and site quality will do more for "healthy" growth than anything else. After my plagiarism of Bruce Hornsby, I'm going to pinch another famous quotation here ..... "If you build it, they will come!" lol

The site is in good hands in my honest opinion, with the right ideals in place, long may it continue.

Any special reason (that you can share with us) for your own user name?

No special reason, it's my name!

Post subject: Re: Davey B
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:38 pm 

great interview mate ! enjoyed reading it
shame about your job, pray you get a cracking one with great pay, that you enjoy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:12 pm 

Really good interview - enjoyed reading that :thumbup:

Thanks for the lovely things you said. That's made my day :love:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:56 pm 

Good stuff Davey. Really hope things improve for you on the job front

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:25 am 

nickmatt wrote:
great interview mate ! enjoyed reading it
shame about your job, pray you get a cracking one with great pay, that you enjoy

Cheers Nick! :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:29 am 

Becs wrote:
Really good interview - enjoyed reading that :thumbup:

Thanks for the lovely things you said. That's made my day :love:

Thanks Becs. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:31 am 

Sheep farmer wrote:
Good stuff Davey. Really hope things improve for you on the job front

Thanks Sheepy! :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:39 pm 

Enjoyed that davey :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:52 am 

Towers wrote:
Enjoyed that davey :thumbup:

Thanks Towers! :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:14 pm 

As others have said, nice read and hope you get sorted on the job front.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:32 pm 

Very good read,Dwavie.

Abit shite the job thing for you but hope it all sorts its self out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:36 pm 

Tufty wrote:
As others have said, nice read and hope you get sorted on the job front.

Thanks Tufty! :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:36 pm 

Taz wrote:
Very good read,Dwavie.

Abit shite the job thing for you but hope it all sorts its self out.

Cheers Taz! :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]