It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dirty Wellies
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:27 pm 

Dirty Wellies Interview

1. Please tell us something about your upbringing, school, family background, area you come from.

Born in Yorkshire in the 1970s and lived in a smallish village in a mining area

2. Next can you tell us something about your working life, your qualifications if relevant and any funny anecdotes you may have that are connected with your job.

I'm a pharmacist by trade having started as a Saturday girl in the local chemists at the age of 14. It's mostly quite a serious job as you have to be constantly alert for issues such as inappropriate doses, interactions between medications, plus be a "mini-doctor" as patients come to you for advice on all manner of conditions. The best are the dodgy skin rashes - and believe me - people aren't shy at showing me them. I'm also qualified to measure fit trusses !!! But thankfully that's very rare nowadays, but I've spent more time measuring around men's groinal regions *shudder* than I care to think too much about

3. Tell us a little about your adult family (wife, kids anything appropriate) and your hobbies.

I'm married with a teenage daughter. For those of you who don't know, in 2007 we decided to leave the UK and move to Ireland to own a smallholding and become self-sufficient. This was on the basis that if it didn't work out we could always move back to the UK (before property devalued...)
So we have a 3.75 acre smallholding in County Clare - second only to Yorkshire for absolute stunning beauty. We have a forest that we manage for firewood - all our heating is solid fuel. Also a veg plot where we grow a lot of our own food and we keep hens for their eggs.
We also have cats for vermin control and a couple of muddy ponies for amusement purposes.

4. Why Sunderland and not any other club?

I went to Sunderland Poly back in the day before it became a University. I was at a loose end on e Saturday afternoon and a couple of mates suggested I come to the match with them. I'd never shown any inclination towards football before that. One afternoon in the Fulwell End and I was hooked by the atmosphere and the sheer passion.

5. Any particular game or games that mean more to you than most?

The playoff final at Wembley - the whole lead-up to it - the feeling of actually BEING at Wembley - walking up Wembley Way to the towers with flags and painted faces. It was a proper life experience. The nailbiting excitement right to the end - and then the utter and abject disappointment of the long journey home. That's the SAFC rollercosater for you.

6. What are your favourite things about SAFC, for example; favourite Sunderland players, managers, things, memories?

Proper soft spot for Niall Quinn. A proper gentleman as well as a rather remarkable footballer. Fond memories of the Quinn-Phillips goal bonanza times.

7. Are there any other teams, whom you regard as opponents, but have a soft spot for?

Nope - it's SAFC or nowt for me. And I regularly flick the Vs at Elland Road and the Wonga Stadium whenever I'm passing (at my age)

8. Any opponent teams that you actively dislike.

See above

9. Who (non SAFC football person) can’t you stand?

It's a close run thing between Joey Barton and John Terry. I followed Barton on Twitter for a while just to make myself feel better about the stuff I tweeted but it got too much and made me quite stabby... he really is an odious little twat who's up himself....

10. How do you see SAFC going, are you optimistic, pessimistic, happy, sad?

I see SAFC doing what it's always done.... taking the fans on a rollercoaster of exhilarating highs and then plunging doom-ridden lows. That's part of supporting the lads. At least for me. Europe would be an absolute dream... I wouldn't dare to hope...

11. What makes you laugh?

Wit. And clever observational humour
Eddie Izzard, Peter Kay, Victoria Wood.
And my daughter doing a Cork accent.

12. What makes you sad?

Cruelty to animals

13. What really annoys you

People who are lazy and just can't be bothered. Bad manners. Aggressive drivers. "Celebrity" culture (X-Factor, Big Brother, Geordie Shore etc). Sanctimonious vegans. Adverts on TV that are louder than the programs.

14. What are your favourite foods, do you prefer to dine in or out?

I love food in general. I don't eat meat and am a prettty good cook so would generally prefer to eat in. Not eating meat can be a problem as Ireland still has limited options for eating out if you don't. I do a mean pizza and keep working on the curries.

15. What makes BCC tick for you, how did you find us, what keeps you a member, where does your handle/username come from?

I came to BCC from the start - during the "possible litigation" shutdown of RTG at the time and have been a member through all its incarnations (though I have changed username)
I like the small and friendly nature of the board and the fact that it's not as reactionary as places like PF
My username this time came from my daily footwear of choice

Thanks Dirty Wellies that is absolutely great.

Post subject: Re: Dirty Wellies
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:54 pm 

:thumbup: Nice interesting interview.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:02 am 

Love reading fan interviews!

And anyone who answers ...
12. What makes you sad?
Cruelty to animals
is a BIG friend of mine!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:48 am 

Nice interview 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:50 pm 

daib0 wrote:
Love reading fan interviews!

And anyone who answers ...
12. What makes you sad?
Cruelty to animals
is a BIG friend of mine!!!

This.

Don't agree with any animal cruelty what so ever.

At the end of the storm
Is a golden sky

And that is where we are heading....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:08 pm 

Insightful and entertaining. Another non Leeds supporter from the White Rose county, we could start a club!
Very brave on the self-sufficiency front, how's it working out?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:32 pm 

good read that

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]