It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Les Miserable
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:56 am 

Here is the long awaited Les Mis Interview.

I think you will agree that we have had 2 cracking interviews leading up to Christmas.

1. Please tell us something about your upbringing, school, family background, area you come from.

Black sheep of the family. Born in Tottenham but family comes from Ferryhill and Stockton. Went through school in Romford surrounded by Wist Hem supporters. When we lost 8-0 you can imagine the stick I took.

2. Next can you tell us something about your working life, your qualifications if relevant and any funny anecdotes you may have that are connected with your job.

Left school and did three years as a typesetter. Got bored and went to Durham Uni then various jobs in publishing. Freelance journo for 25 years until there was no money left. Various jobs at minimum wage to keep body and soul together. Then joined Health & Safety Executive four years ago and still loving it despite the uninformed bullshit spouted about “elf n safety”. Like the lad in Sixth Sense we see dead people; maimed people; and sick people. It ain’t pretty and it certainly isn’t petty.

3. Tell us a little about your adult family (wife, kids anything appropriate) and your hobbies.

Divorced. One son who supports Arsenal despite all my best efforts. Hobbies are music, footy and drinking – which is probably why I am divorced.

4. Why Sunderland and not any other club?

Family was split between Mackems and Smoggies. Once when visiting Ferryhill as a kid, my Uncle, God bless him, took me to a Sunlan match at Roker and I was doomed. This was despite the fact that at the time I was sneaking into White Hart Lane when they opened the gates at half-time to watch the double winning team.

5. Do you have any “second” team or teams and if so who are they and why are you interested in them?

Why go out to eat burgers when you have steak at home? The older I get, the less interested I become in other teams. I used to watch England regularly when I was younger but I hardly give a stuff about them nowadays. I used to work with an Italian lad who supported Juventus so I always watch out for their results even tho they wear black and white.

6. Any particular game or games that mean more to you than most?

Always the Mags. If we play Boro I’m interested cos my dad supported them. He lived to be 85 and never saw them win a thing.

7. What are your favourite things about SAFC, for example; favourite Sunderland players, managers, things, memories?

I got Charlie Hurley’s autograph once and I always remember watching him play – he seemed a giant at the time. Colin Todd was another favourite (one of the most under-rated players of all time IMO). Frank Worthington and Pop Robson were special. 1973 was great but Peter Reid’s time was my favourite as a supporter… expecting to win; knowing if we went a goal down we had the players to win 2-1! Winning 2-5 away at Orient in 1964 in a midweek game. All-time player had to be Quinny- he scored great goals and then saved the club. Watching night games at any time or ground – it’s wonderful.

The disappointments - The long walk back down Wembley Way when you’ve lost (again). The relegations. I can remember exactly where I was when Coventry cheated us (twice). I can also remember exactly where and when I heard about McMenemy becoming manager… The rest I try to forget.

8. Are there any other teams, whom you regard as opponents, but have a soft spot for?

I like most teams and their supporters with a few notable exceptions.

9. Any opponent teams that you actively dislike.

It varies. There are the obvious obnoxious teams/supporters – Leeds, Millwall, Coventry. Then there are teams that go through phases of deserving my contempt (you know who you are). And you can always throw in any team Ken Bates is involved with.

10. Who are your all time favourite non SAFC footballers?

Probably the Charlton Brothers and Jimmy Greaves.

11. Who (non SAFC football person) can’t you stand?

Maggie Thatcher (the bubbly is on ice). I also can’t stand any “supporter” including our own who believe that somehow they “deserve” success. I remember some of the teams that were in Div 1 (look it up) and look at where they are now. Someone who supports one of those clubs has seen less success than the average SAFC supporter yet still goes week in, week out – makes me feel humble and very lucky.

12. How do you see SAFC going, are you optimistic, pessimistic, happy, sad?

My glass is always half full - even when we get relegated I look forward to the next promotion. I’m not happy about our start this season but I still think we’ll click and give someone a hammering.

13. What makes you laugh?

Bob Hope, the Marx Brothers and Billy Connolly

14. What makes you sad?

How little things have really changed in my lifetime. We have many more material things but we don’t seem to be that much happier. What happened to all that technology that was gong to liberate us? I can remember being told that the biggest problem as I got older would be the problem of what to do with all that leisure time. Last year the government told me I’d have to retire a year later if I wanted a decent pension… And where’s my personal jet pack?

15. What really annoys you?

At the moment it’s stuff like “reality” TV and “social fecking media”. Two great inventions and what do we use them for…?

16. What are your favourite foods, do you prefer to dine in or out?

I love food – a couple of months ago I hit 18.5 stones. So I’ve been on a diet recently. Dining in or out – doesn’t matter as long as the food is good. A decent bottle of wine and good company helps though. Best meals are Sunday roast or a B&B breakfast (the toast just tastes so different and they do the washing up).

17. What makes BCC tick for you, how did you find us, what keeps you a member, where does your handle/username come from?

I was over the road for donkey’s years and watched that board slowly change into what it is today. When they introduced PF I voiced an opinion that wasn’t liked and I got banned. I joined BCC on the rebound and have stuck around ever since. BCC is more like what I was looking for when I first joined SMB/RTG – it’s a bunch of disparate people united by a love of SAFC. Being an exile who doesn’t get to that many games I appreciate the gossip and the news and the opinions you get from a message board. I also like the mix of footy and non-footy threads and the fact that most people don’t take themselves too seriously on BCC.

My BCC user name came from the fact I’m an pesimistic lesbian.

18. Anything you want to say, not covered by the above?

We are only immortal for a limited time.

Post subject: Re: Les Miserable
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:20 pm 

Nice read 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:20 pm 

I agree with Becs, a good read indeed.
Do you still have the Charlie Hurley autograph? If so ... any chance of being able to do a scan and send me a PDF or something (I could leave e-mail by PM)?? It's that on Royals Rendezvous he's a legend too, and we've inaugerated an 'autographs' topic thread, but what we don't have yet are ... autographs!! Full credit to your user name and the forum of course in case that it could work ...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:13 pm 

Born in Tottingham then Les Mis. Similar heritage to me then being born West of London but Dads family hailing from Houghton-le-Spring. Do you still have North London accent?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:26 pm 

daib0 wrote:
I agree with Becs, a good read indeed.
Do you still have the Charlie Hurley autograph? If so ... any chance of being able to do a scan and send me a PDF or something (I could leave e-mail by PM)?? It's that on Royals Rendezvous he's a legend too, and we've inaugerated an 'autographs' topic thread, but what we don't have yet are ... autographs!! Full credit to your user name and the forum of course in case that it could work ...

Sorry m8. Back in those days I used to cut out pics from the Charlie Buchan football monthly and paste them into a big ledger book my mam liberated from work. I'd go to the matches and try and get autographs in that. It's long gone unfortunately! He was my mam's hero so she was well pleased when I got his autograph.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:27 pm 

Towers wrote:
Born in Tottingham then Les Mis. Similar heritage to me then being born West of London but Dads family hailing from Houghton-le-Spring. Do you still have North London accent?

I'm not sure about having a North London accent but I do have a "cockney" accent. It still gets remarked upon when I go to matches - people don't expect it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:06 am 

Interesting interview :thumbup:

At the end of the storm
Is a golden sky

And that is where we are heading....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:22 pm 

cheers les, and your not as miserable as I........... :lol:

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]