It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tufty
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:41 am 

To cheer us up after a truly disappointing weekend of Sunderland supporting here's a top class interview with Tufty:

First off, please tell us something about yourself! Like ... what were your favourite subjects at school? Did you do further studies? What do you now do for a living/study etc.?

My favourite subjects at school (Harton Comp) were History and sciences. I went to Shields Tech and did electrical engineering. I then joined the RAF as a Ground electrician. I met my wife when I was at St. Athan, I now live in Cardiff Wales as that is where she is from.

Describe your working environment and a typical working day!

I have worked as a train guard for over ten years now. We work a shift system anywhere from a 4.00am start to a 2.00am finish. 95% of the passengers are great and I get to have some interesting conversations mostly about football. I can probably say I have talked to supporters of at least 60 clubs, from Manu to Barnet. However we do get a fair share of tossers who don't want to pay or moan about delays, which are not my fault. The number of times it has come to blows is ridiculous, it is partly my fault as I won't take shit and bite back too often.

Do you have a partner? What do they think about football?!

My wife can't stand football and if I watch it on TV she goes to bed. A few years ago I took her to the SSOL to see us play Leicester. Claudio Reyna scored a cracking goal from about 20 yds out and I was up in the air celebrating when I saw the only person sitting down was guess who. BTW we won 2-1 and Reyna scored two crackers.

What about your children. What do they think about football?!

I have two daughters, the eldest I managed to get to two games but she was not interested. The younger really loved it and has been to Roker Park, SSOL, Swindon, both Bristols and Cardiff with me.

Why Sunderland and not any other team? Why do you identify with the team?

Born in Jarrow, raised in Shields it could only be one of two teams. My parents weren't into football but my paternal grandparents were. My granddad liked to see all 3 NE teams do well but preferred the Mags and tried to get me that way however I was 9 in 1973 and we all know what happened then.

What's the best and worst away ground you've visited? Why?!

The worst has to be Swindon town, it was all corrugated steel and I was scared it was going to blow down and driving outside it is a bitch there is roundabout with about 6 mini roundabouts outside of it, I just shut my eyes and drive through the middle. Best was probably Maine Road Man City but we got relegated that day.

How you ever been in a ‘delicate’ situation (like dangerous) with nasty opposing fans (inside or outside grounds)?

Roker Park, league cup 1st leg match v Newcastle. I was still a young 'un and was waiting outside the club shop where my neighbour usually met me to give me a lift home, while I was waiting the away lot were led out straight past the shop by the police. A couple of them decided they were going to rob my scarves, I felt that I was fighting for my life and my scarves alone but realised some "grown ups" had come out and saved me.

Which other team or teams in the Premier/Championship (or indeed elsewhere) have you a soft spot for?

As I said before we are quite cosmopolitan at work, lots of the staff are from different areas of Britain and I tend to find myself looking out for Gillingham, Burton, Forest and Partick Thistle to mention just a few.

Where would you like to visit in the future (if all went well!)?

Depends on where SAFC are playing the Champions league finals and World club finals

What hobbies apart from football do you have?

I am interested in most sports, nature (like Attenborough programmes) and family tree research.

A few words to describe your relationship with “The Black Cat Chat” forum – and how did it come about?

I was on the forum of the official site but it closed down over night (I believe it had something to do with comments made about that naughty X rated SAFC hotel video). Some of the members formed SAFC forum and that lasted a few years, after that went I looked around for a forum of similar standard with nice members. Here I am.

Do you think that any professional player now currently reads our forum – and who of the present crop would you like to read our forum?!

It would not surprise me in the least if some of our players or staff pop in to check how their street cred looks.

What are your views (be sincere!) on Black Cat Chat?

I like it. people are generally honest and there is no back biting if someone does not like what you say. I would like to see are structuring of categories such as Sunderland, other teams and sports etc.

Any special reason (that you can share with us) for your own user name?

I used to have long hair and a hat that was like a tea cosy with a hole in the top. I used to wear a lock of hair through that and a mate a college started calling me Tufty and it took off from there.

Post subject: Re: Tufty
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:50 am 

Another great read, well done! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:50 am 

Nice read 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:04 am 

Hakuna Matata wrote:
Do you have a partner? What do they think about football?!

My wife can't stand football and if I watch it on TV she goes to bed. A few years ago I took her to the SSOL to see us play Leicester. Claudio Reyna scored a cracking goal from about 20 yds out and I was up in the air celebrating when I saw the only person sitting down was guess who. BTW we won 2-1 and Reyna scored two crackers.

:lol: That so describes when I took my wife to a game!

Great interview.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:31 am 

Nice one.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:43 pm 

very intellectual tufts :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:09 pm 

Nice one Tufts! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:42 am 

Thank you all for your kind words and I would like to thank so many people for their help in me winning this award. Oops, sorry that is my speech for the oscars.

Further to question 2, my working day, there is a programme on BBC 2 at 9.00pm tonight (Tuesday: The railway) about the train company I work for. I won't be on it but it may give an idea of the shit we have to put up with at times.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:49 am 

Tufty wrote:
Thank you all for your kind words and I would like to thank so many people for their help in me winning this award. Oops, sorry that is my speech for the oscars.

Further to question 2, my working day, there is a programme on BBC 2 at 9.00pm tonight (Tuesday: The railway) about the train company I work for. I won't be on it but it may give an idea of the shit we have to put up with at times.

bet you do, , must put up with some slaverry pissed up numptys ! :thumbdown:

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]